VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Firefox/Java problems  (Read 3834 times)

RogueProgrammer1

Firefox/Java problems
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:52:43 pm »

So, I recently switched to VectorLinux 7.0 Light. Having tried half a dozen other distributions in the past, I eventually decided that it wasn't worth the learning curve and switched back to XP. I'm back to Linux, and this is by far my favorite. I think Microsoft lost another customer for good.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean all is well and good. For the life of me I cannot get the Java plugin to work with Firefox. I understand the distro came with a JRE. I uninstalled that so there would be no conflicts when I installed JDK 1.7.0 update 10. JDK works like a charm; I can use all of the archiving tools, compiling tools, etc.... It does not work with Firefox though.

Other forum posts on the subject seem to indicate making a link between the jre plugin and mozilla's plugin folder via something like this:
Code: [Select]
ln -s /usr/lib/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so
I don't know if it matters at all, but the plugin in the jre in my jdk is not named libnpjp2.so, but rather libjavaplugin_oji.so. I tried a couple different variations of the command above. Both seemed successful in that they made a link to the appropriate directory, but neither allowed use of Java via Firefox, and neither made it visible in the plugin section of the Add-ons Manager in Firefox. The variations are as follows:

ln -s /usr/lib/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so
ln -s /usr/lib/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
I did delete the previous links before trying any new ones. I did close Firefox before executing the commands. I did have root access to execute the commands. I did restart the computer after executing before starting Firefox again. I don't know if any of that really mattered, but I tried it.

So, is this a problem with Firefox 11.0? Is this a problem with Firefox? Is there something stupid I'm missing to enable Firefox to use the Java plugin? Could somebody please help? A detailed guide would be nice, but a nudge in the right direction would be just as appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: Firefox/Java problems
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:29:57 pm »

You only need libnpjp2.so inside your /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder...it should contain a symlink to /usr/lib/java/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so...installing jre should work out of the box...

btw, libjavaplugin_oji.so is not needed anymore

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/manual-plugin-install-linux-136395.html

RogueProgrammer1

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:10:50 am »

I removed all other symlinks and created the one you specified. Firefox still does not recognize that Java is installed on the machine. Is there a particular version of Firefox I need to use? The link you gave indicated that Firefox 3+ should use that plugin. Is there a cache somewhere I need to update for Firefox to recognize that I have a symlink to the Java plugin?

RogueProgrammer1

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:12:44 am »

Edit: I didn't create exactly the same symlink you specified. Since I installed the JDK, I used /usr/lib/java/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so.

bigpaws

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:12:48 am »

You mentioned the path of /usr/lib/java/jre/../../../libnpjp2.so

Shouldn't it be /usr/lib/java/jdk/../../../libnpjp2.so ?

From the Oracle docs:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/linux/linux-plugin-install.html

HTH

Bigpaws

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:19:12 pm »

I have jre version 7u7-i586-3vl70 installed, and Firefox complains of this on my computer too, stating:  "An important update is available for Java(TM) Plug-in 1.7.0_07."  This message is given to me via the Add-ons Manager.  So, java is disabled currently.  It invites me to "Update Now".  I prefer to rely on packages from Gslapt, though.
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

RogueProgrammer1

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:41:39 pm »

You mentioned the path of /usr/lib/java/jre/../../../libnpjp2.so

Shouldn't it be /usr/lib/java/jdk/../../../libnpjp2.so ?

From the Oracle docs:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/linux/linux-plugin-install.html

HTH

Bigpaws

I have a symbolic link between where I have Java installed (/usr/lib/jdk1.7.0_10/) and /usr/lib/java, and java commands in the terminal seem to have no problem with that. Making the symbolic link to the original though (/usr/lib/jdk1.7.0_10/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so) allowed Firefox to recognize the plug in. Is there something in VectorLinux about not allowing a symbolic link to a symbolic link? Is there a way around that? I got it working, so it doesn't matter much to me, but I am curious.

Thanks for your help. I never would've stumbled across the solution if you hadn't pointed that out.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:24:41 pm »

I will build jre-7u10 soon...once it is in the testing repo you can try to use it...

RogueProgrammer1

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 08:41:28 am »

I will build jre-7u10 soon...once it is in the testing repo you can try to use it...
What are you doing to build it exactly?

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 10:39:23 am »

Essentially, he's making a repo package that you'll be able to install using gslapt.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »

jre-7u10 should be in the testing repo...make sure http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/testing/ is in your gslapt repo list and search for it

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 08:43:09 am »

Enabled testing, installed, then disabled testing.  Works perfectly.  Thanks.
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE