VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 04:07:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ SOLVED ] Frustrating instalation situation.  (Read 486 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: November 13, 2014, 01:26:51 pm »

Let me begin by giving some background on my situation here. I am using a computer that has a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard with 32GIG of memory, a 2TB SATA hard drive, an nVidea GForce 7600 graphics card, and a HP Deskjet 1512 all-in-one printer. The sitiation in question is this: When I first installed Vector Linux 7.0 on my computer everything loaded and ran without any problems (I had a HP Deskjet 1000 printer at the time), but then I made a decision to switch over to windows (yes I know - shame on me) because I wanted to do some things relating to video, but then, for a variety of reasons, I decided to return to Vector Linux 7.0.  I did a low level format of my hard drive, inserted the Vector Linux 7.0 boot CD, and restarted my computer. When the boot prompt appeared, I pressed the "Enter" key like I did before, and it got to where I am asked to select the graphics mode to use, so like before I selected "Choose this ans X will figure it out". Now here's where things get a bit "interesting", you might say, the screen clears, and eventually shows the message "Logging on as root" - two seconds later the screen goes blank, and I can't do anything else with it, and the same thing happened no matter which graphics mode I selected. I figured out that I had to type "install" at the boot prompt to get it to load, which I didn't have to do before.

And my point in mentioning all this, I can hear you ask is simply this - to be able to get back to the point where I can insert the boot CD, restart my computer, and have the operating system install the way that it is supposed to install.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:25:42 pm by Locator » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:00:24 pm »

Looks like an nvidia graphics issue.
May I suggest that you try booting the 64 bit version of VL 7.1?
If you go with the 32-bit 7.0, 90% of your 32G of memory will not be used. That would be a real shame.
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.1/iso/
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:25:57 pm »

But I was able to install it before using that same graphics card. So I was thinking that it has something to do with the motherboard, but I don't know what yet.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:13:43 pm by Locator » Logged
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:19:21 pm »

My apologies. It turns out that the problem in question WAS with the GeForce 7600 after all (but why should be the case is beyond me). At any rate, everything is now back up and running as it should be Cheesy!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:45:32 am »

Glad you got it figured out. Persistence pays off.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: