VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 05:34:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7.0 Light installer doesn't boot on old computer  (Read 10437 times)
ormu

« on: January 08, 2013, 12:30:53 pm »

I tried to install Vector Linux to my old desktop computer. The boot: prompt appears but the installer doesn't start. All I see on the screen is this:

Decompressing linux... <something>
Booting the kernel...

After this it hangs and nothing happens. I have tried "install noapic nolapic acpi=off", to no avail. The CD should be OK as the installer starts fine when mounted in Virtualbox. What is also interesting is that the same problem is present with Zenwalk. I was, however, able to install Debian but I'd like to try Vector or Zenwalk as Debian with GNOME uses quite a lot of my precious memory. Tongue

Computer specs:

-Compaq motherboard
-Amd K7 Athlon CPU, 500MHz
-128MB RAM
-3dfx Voodoo3 GPU
-2x HDD, Windows 98 installed to /dev/sda
-2x CD drives, tried both
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:32:24 pm by ormu » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 03:53:45 pm »

If you were wanting a gui I would try puppy or damn small linux due to ram. 128meg is a minimum for graphical interface with linux as a general rule and both puppy and damn small should boot on a k7. I got both to boot on a k6 with 256 recently and still have puppy on 192 meg but do not expect flash in the browser...I have run dsl on 128 in the past..I think vector deserves a little more ram and not sure about the k7..hope that helps.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:02:21 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:06:11 am »

Old computers can be finicky.  Sad

If you already got Debian installed, you can lighten it significantly by using IceWM (or Fluxbox, or Openbox..) instead of Gnome. Try "apt-get install icewm", reboot, then select it from your login screen.
zerotone

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:27:56 am »

I am having the same issues with VL Light. I have a Compaq Proliant 1500  P100 with 192MB of RAM and it just does an endless loop (literally, I let it run for an hour to see if it would just take hold). VL Standard wouldn't load due to RAM limitations, and SLACK 13.37 just makes a black screen.

The message I get is after the decompressing is that it is booting into kernel and then it's right back to the initial installation screen.

Puppy linux is down right stupid for install, IMO, since they recommend a live CD. Also, they pretty much force ya in a dual boot.

I want to run a straight intranet in my house for gaming and running a MUD for the kids and I, and using it as a hardware firewall (I.E-mOnoWall) for my incoming internet line.

Here's the specs on my machine. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=254905&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c00376736

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 06:02:22 am »

The oldest machine that VL7 Light was tested on, was a Pentium3/500 MHz, which is two generations past your Compaq. That machine is a candidate for something like Basiclinux or DSL. Both of those are less than up to date, and I would not trust a firewall to them.

As far as trying a modern distro, I'd say try pure Debian, text installer, minimal install, no X-window or GUI apps.
zerotone

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:14:53 am »

What about a legacy of Vector? Thinking 4.0 or 3.0 or something in that range.

Also, since Red Hat is the linux that HP and compaq will put on those systems as OEM, maybe an older version of Fedora???

I really like what Vector has for capabilities, I'd hate to have barebones linux when the WIN 2000 runs just fine. I just want the server apps that linux offers. I'm not planning on running the crap out of it. Just use it as an initial firewall/traffic handler, then the secondary would be to use it as a multi-port LAN to play older games (Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Heroes of Might and Magic) and run a in-house MUD.

I'm getting to the point (i'm on 3 different forums trying to find something, this being the only specific distro forum) that linux is unusable on anything that isn't already perfect for XP (which, IMO, is the best Windows made, with 98SE in second). I just can't believe that I have a full-on server and I see basic-to-nothing as an option except older Windows.

Grrr, frustration. Sorry for the vent, but I figured searches for this type of system in the future will help and will show others that there isn't NOTHING for these dinosaurs.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:35:48 am »

I understand your frustration.

The link you posted and it failed. So I was not able to
see the actual specs of your machine.

I use a p II 233 with 32 megs of ram for a firewall.

You should never run a firewall and anything else together.

The limitations you speak of are distribution not Linux problems.
I run BSD, and linux on low end hardware. When trying to use
X is when you run into problems with RAM. Most web browsers
start at 100 meg of RAM, doesn't leave much left for anything
else.

Stop using X and you will have all the power you need.

Bigpaws
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:48:24 am »

You could try VL6 Light. I did load it on a machine less capable than yours: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9138

Light does include X, but as bigpaws suggested, I'd stick with text mode.
zerotone

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 03:19:06 am »

Gave up on the Proliant 1500. I got an Intel Server Board S845wd, P4 2.5ghz, 256 mb ram (not much in multi-tasking in xfce) up in running on Slack 13.37.

VectorLinux had issues with Nvidia. Tried Slack, same thing, but since it was my last one on there, it got left on. I unhooked the NVidia, used the motherboard GPU ( ATi ) and all is well.
I'm quite happy with what I have. I find it interesting how much stuff you can just copy and paste, and it is good to go. I'm overwhelmed right now in options on what I wanna go with.

Bigpaws stated that I shouldn't run a firewall with anything else? Could I not run a firewall for incoming, outside traffic, and let all inside traffic run unrestricted? If I run a MUD, that only 2-3 computers will play that is not gonna receive outside connections, I don't see an issue. I even have a linksys multi-port ethernet router.

BTW, nobody really ever had an answer on why the vectorlinux 7 was doing a bootloop. I'm gonna figure it might be a syslinux install instead of an isolinux install. I'll be sure to document my results when I do round 7 with that Proliant 1500.
ddval

That's my story and I'm stuck with it.

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 08:43:00 am »

I tried to install Vector Linux to my old desktop computer. The boot: prompt appears but the installer doesn't start. All I see on the screen is this:

Decompressing linux... <something>
Booting the kernel...

After this it hangs and nothing happens. I have tried "install noapic nolapic acpi=off", to no avail. The CD should be OK as the installer starts fine when mounted in Virtualbox. What is also interesting is that the same problem is present with Zenwalk. I was, however, able to install Debian but I'd like to try Vector or Zenwalk as Debian with GNOME uses quite a lot of my precious memory. Tongue

Computer specs:

-Compaq motherboard
-Amd K7 Athlon CPU, 500MHz
-128MB RAM
-3dfx Voodoo3 GPU
-2x HDD, Windows 98 installed to /dev/sda
-2x CD drives, tried both

I have an old Compaq Deskpro EP Series:  BIOS Version: 686J1 v2.04
Intel Pentium(R) III processor 450 MHz
64 MB upgraded -->> 64 + 128 = 192 MB Ram
Chipset Intel Whitney 82810E Rev 3
OS --> XP Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Professional

The machine is very slow and cranky with XP installed.

Replaced XP with Vector 7.0 Light and improved machine performance, however, Puppy seems to work best for the old Deskpro.

Cheers
Linux User 561425
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 06:43:14 pm »

pls try adding swap file to 2G, see any improvement or not
ormu

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 08:11:17 am »

Bump.

Looks like this might be a kernel issue. Debian with 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel behaves in the exactly same way. Older 2.6.32-5-686 kernel still works.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 10:49:01 am »

If the unit does not support pae then puppy precise retro may be a good choice as it should provide a functional gui on 128 megs ram with swap and is current.

Everything Is Relative
ormu

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 04:17:48 am »

If the unit does not support pae then puppy precise retro may be a good choice as it should provide a functional gui on 128 megs ram with swap and is current.

I'm not sure if that CPU supports PAE, but if it does not could that be the cause of this problem? Could installing a non-PAE kernel help? I don't see much point in giving a PAE kernel as a default anyway as most systems with large memory are 64-bit anyway.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 06:05:49 am »

Scroll down to post six

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=16796

In terminal type: grep pae /proc/cpuinfo
If you see a pae flag it likely supports pae

I installed VL7.0 light to a non pae laptop however it has a gig of ram.

again 128 megs of ram is very low and we are unclear on your expectations. ie are you expecting a gui or graphical desktop like win98? if so I suggest you give puppy precise retro a try as it will offer the best gui experience with the least effort  and get you started. with vector if you were booting the gui installer perhaps try the text installer, instruction is on the boot screen but expect tui for your system
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:21:06 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: