VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 12:55:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new user not given some permissions - firefox and lo  (Read 578 times)
Trio3b

« on: January 08, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »

VL7.0 std-gold live on older thinkpad. Install seemed to go well and added new user during install.

1.reboot autologs into VL account. ( I had a thread here but can't find it . someone kindly showed how to change that.)I still don't understand what the vl account is for?

So anyway went to login window and unchecked auto login and logged in as user1 created during install

2. Wireless working but could not launch FF . something about profile not accessible or not created, so looked into user1 files (including hidden) compared with vl account and saw that vl account has all ownership but new user1 had some owners 1101 which I think was the default I accepted  during install. Anyway after chown'ing all files to new user, FF opens fine. What's going on? had to go thru and hand chown about 6-8 files and directories (mostly hidden). Any ideas what caused this.?

3. New install of libreoffice launches for root and vl but not user1 so assumed  permission issue as described above. Found lo files in /opt but all permissions appear to be either 655 or 755 ( can't remember) so LO should be available to all. I think to launch LO from term is:

soffice --writer which returns:

[Java framework] Error in function createSettingsDocument (elements.cxx).
javaldx failed!
Warning: failed to read path from javaldx

Any help appreciated

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 04:15:24 pm »

Hi
Sounds like you installed the live cd, vl is for vector linux and is the auto login user. It would be recomended to install with the VL7 install cd rather than the live cd as you have come to realize. with the install cd you would create user during install and user vl would not exist unless created. although the install and use of the live cd is possible some issues may arise as is evident. do not know about the office issue but someone likely has more usefull information to assist you...cheers

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: