VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 01:46:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL7.0 STD - unprivileged user cannot launch wicd  (Read 5859 times)
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 10:18:35 pm »

Can you try this:

Restart the computer.

Open a terminal as a normal user and type:

wicd-client > wicd_test.txt

Then post the file.txt on pastebin or something like that.

Bigpaws

Trio3b

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 10:21:44 pm »

oops sorry thought it was going to be big output.

In terminal as normal user That returns:

sudo: sorry a password is required to run sudo and GUI warning about dbus mssg comes up

OK  calling it quits for now.

Thank you

[UPDATE] Bad news . Was reading other forums about reinstalling or rolling back wicd so looked into gslapt and saw

wicd - not installed
wicd-bzr - not installed
wicd-bzr- installed

So removed wicd-bzr and installed wicd and now cannot connect wired or wireless either as root or user. Now starting wicd daemon or wicd-client from either terminal or GUI returns dbus error. this happens either as root or normal user. Looks like a reinstall to get back to where we were unless you have any other ideas.

I have been reading about some *.py and or *gtk wicd related files causing the problems I was having before. Maybe that's why I could launch from the terminal but not the GUI interface. Will post back after the reinstall. I think that's the quickest way to get back to where we were before.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:00:19 am by Trio3b » Logged
Trio3b

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 08:33:32 pm »

OK, back with fresh install Vl7.0 STD and complete upgrade thinking some upgrade would help.

Same problem. wicd must be started as root in norma user terminal then wicd GUI works and am able to connect. Then in same terminal I "wicd stop" but led flashes and then relights and am still connected. Something controlling the wicd daemon is not working. Reboots do not start wicd although during bootsplash after loading modules "wicd OK".

But after normal user login have to open term and launch wicd as root then all ok.

hope this give some info.
Thanks

ps Is there another network manager I can try?

[UPDATE} OK tried adding new user "user02" just to compare stuff. I gave user02 all privileges via vasm but still same dbus error. Then logged out and back in as root and  tried to delete user02 via vasm and terminal but it fails saying user02 logged in.
Then tried same thing to delete original user01 both via vasm and terminal and again fails saying "user01 logged in".
This can't be right. somethings up. If several users are logged in together this could be confusing wicd daemon?

wicd daemon not being loaded at boot (adapter led not on ) Remember, if I log in as root GUI, adapter LED is off,  but I can launch wicd via GUI, LED kicks in then I can launch wicd via GUI and interface comes up and i can connect.

the .iso md5sum checks out good. Maybe a bad burn?

HTH

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:40:14 pm by Trio3b » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 08:44:56 am »

Something is wrong.

Did you install using the livecd or this download:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-GOLD.iso

Can you check the MD5 sum to make sure the download is
good.

There are two other options for a network manager.
Either VASM-Legacy (iirc) and doing it by hand.

The wicd-daemon is purely a script. It is not controlled by anything
else. It uses events to trigger an action.

The root GUI I do not understand.

Perhaps you are trying to use Windows experience to solve Linux problems.
That can create alot of problems. They are two different operating systems.

We can start from the beginning.

Reload the system. Only create root and one user. Do not do anything
else.

Normally wicd is already running without any need to do anything.

It is the two computer icon at the top of the screen.

After that post back.

If wicd is not starting then we can fix it in a matter of two to three steps and
there should not be any other problems.

Bigpaws
Trio3b

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 09:25:06 am »

Something is wrong.

Did you install using the livecd or this download:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-GOLD.iso

Can you check the MD5 sum to make sure the download is
good.

yes using that version.Yes md5sum is good

The root GUI I do not understand.

Meaning at login I enter "root" and password and am logged into root's GUI interface. Sorry about confusion, but wicd was behaving differently depending on whether I was logged in as root using it's own GUI interface or whether I was logged in as normal user  in a root terminal.

We can start from the beginning.

Reload the system. Only create root and one user. Do not do anything
else.Normally wicd is already running without any need to do anything.

OK , will do since I created two users.  BTW, this is a tiny hard drive (6.4g) so

1. maybe I should just allow / and /home on one large partition and swap at the end? Or should I leave  Current install on 4.2g for /, 500mb swap and 1.5g for /home. Was just going to instruct user to use thumbdrive for extra storage. (Generally install using more RAM then downgrade the RAM after install as older sdram for this Thinkpad is scarce around here, but VL7.0 was running fine on 384mb as confirmed by docs).

2. best filesystem- ext3/4 because installer default wants reiser i believe?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:59:30 am by Trio3b » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 09:49:27 am »

This should be very easy to fix.  No matter where you are (GUI or Text mode)

1. Get a terminal shell (Terminal application in gui mode)
2. issue the command `/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd restart` (if this produces an error, post it here)
3. open another another terminal (in gui mode) and issue the command `wicd-client` (again if this produces an error, post it here)

At the very least, you should have a tray icon at this point.  If true, then wicd is working fine and your problem lies somewhere else.
Please post your results, we can help you automatically do this on boot if this is the case.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 09:52:56 am »

I use reiserfs myself.

Ext3 is proven Ext4 is the newest.

Using a normal login and the using su is not that same as
logging in a root and then using a terminal.

The better reference when there are differences would.

If I login as a normal user and  use su I get one result.
If I log in as root and then use the terminal I get the other result.

Are you giving different permissions to users then using the default
settings when creating a user?

Also use quote and reply below the quote box so it is easier to see

Bigpaws
Trio3b

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 10:07:52 am »

I use reiserfs myself.

Ext3 is proven Ext4 is the newest.
OK
Using a normal login and the using su is not that same as
logging in a root and then using a terminal.

The better reference when there are differences would.

If I login as a normal user and  use su I get one result.
If I log in as root and then use the terminal I get the other result.

Yes, I understand. Wicd was behaving differently under the descriptions you describe. I will try to keep those descriptions sorted out better.
Are you giving different permissions to users then using the default
settings when creating a user?
Good question. I don't remember. There is a portion during install requesting user access to inet-superserver, samba, fuse, etc. I will just accept defaults
Also use quote and reply below the quote box so it is easier to see
Sorry, I think I fixed that.

Thanks
Trio3b

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 07:53:20 pm »

Ok fresh install ( this time on T22 which is almost same hdwr but with slightly bigger drive)
Created one user only

This should be very easy to fix.  No matter where you are (GUI or Text mode)

1. Get a terminal shell (Terminal application in gui mode)
2. issue the command `/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd restart` (if this produces an error, post it here)

Stopping wicd daemon..
Wicd appears to already be running
If this is not the case, then remove /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid and try again

3. open another another terminal (in gui mode) and issue the command `wicd-client` (again if this produces an error, post it here)

Has notoficatins support True
Can't connect to the daemon, trying automatic
sudo: sorry a password is required to run sudo
wicd is shutting down

And then the GUI popup  - Could not connect to wicd;s D-Bus interface. Check wicd log

At the very least, you should have a tray icon at this point.  If true, then wicd is working fine and your problem lies somewhere else.
Please post your results, we can help you automatically do this on boot if this is the case.

Yes there is a tray icon but does not launch
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 05:14:10 am »

you should be starting the daemon as root.  the tray icon should be started as unprivileged user.

Trio3b

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 09:34:03 am »

MOE-lnx, you are correct that wicd must be launched as root, but from the user perspective here's what I will have to teach several people
who are not pc savvy. ( as I am donating these laptops.)

OK, hope this makes sense. Now with only root and one user01 account created .

1. If I start laptop from off and log into normal user01 and let GUI load, USB adapter LED is OFF,   and I have wicd in menu and tray but launching from either gives "could not connect" popup. So then close popups and launch a root terminal , start wicd, then close terminal, then USB adpter LED kicks in, and  I can launch wicd from normal's GUI tray or menu. (Yes, I could teach them to reopen normal terminal and enter "wicd-client" ).

2. But if I start laptop from off, then log in as root, and let root's GUI load and WITHOUT TERMINAL just launch wicd from either tray or menu., adapter LED kicks on, wicd works and I can connect. AND if I log out ( not shut down) and log back in as normal/unprivileged  user01, then adapter remains on (presumably b/c it has been launched in root's previous session) , wicd is in tray and menu and I can launch and use wicd as normal user.

So either way wicd is being launched as root and if so, should probably teach procedure (1) so as not to leave them in root's GUI session.

wicd-daemon may be loading at boot,  but without that LED on, I know either wicd or the rtl 8187 module has not accessed it until root launches it either way as you say.  The reason I say is b/c pclos lxde lights that led during boot even before login and user can launch network manager from his/her own GUI (if given permissions during network setup).

1. Isn't there some script or conf file way to give allow normal/unprivileged user permissions to launch wicd  from his own GUI interface?

Thanks

BTW @bigpaws:

Haven't used Windows in 7-8 years but new to VL . Sorry, got spoiled by mandriva/pclos/mageia control center. Blame them!

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 10:27:15 am »

In that case, edit your /etc/rc.d/rc.local and ads this line
/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd start &

reboot
your wifi adaptors led lights ahould be on if it is plugged in as it boots.

Trio3b

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 01:34:35 pm »

In that case, edit your /etc/rc.d/rc.local and ads this line
/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd start &

reboot
your wifi adaptors led lights ahould be on if it is plugged in as it boots.

Ok,  now  log into root's GUI, then adpater LED  and tray icon come up together and can connect fine. Whereas before, I had had to click on tray icon, THEN LED came on and all was fine.

But logging into user01 GUI from laptop OFF I still receive "could not connect to wicd dbus" error popup.

Now, I just realized VL7 requires 5 gb / partition ( I was reading VL6 install guide which requires 3gb for /) . I am running about 4.8gb for /  on this tiny drive. I noticed after adding the line you suggested that I could not login to user01 with popup " GDM ..your session only lasted 10 seconds..." , but I could login to root GUI and all fine. Then deleted some apps to free up some room on / and all was back normal and able to log into user01.

I do notice that in /etc/rc.d there are numerous files that appear network related that are NOT executable, I can post if necessary.

1.  Maybe running this requires additional tmp room on / or /home partition that is just not available .
2. There is still something in user01 conf files that shuts down wicd when called upon.
3. I may try reinstall giving / partition all 5gb with swap which will leave about 500mb for /ome and they will just have to use thumbdrive for extra files. or I may partition using one large partition for / and /home and a little swap at the end.

I think we're on the right track but I just don't have access to any larger drives. Am donating about 15-20 lappys and desktops trying to spread Linux and XFCE and lxde seem to be the only DE where the UI is somewhat relateable to the average user. Of course KDE/GNOME are too heavy for this hdwr although KDE3 ran fine until they loaded it up with all that #%@^!?@#.

[UPDATE] Here are some threads on user not being able to use wicd possibly related to xfce4-notifyd or needing to be member of netdev group, but user01 is in there (/etc/group -> netdev:x:86:user01). Considering the links below it seems option 2 above is likely.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wicd/+bug/677304
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=108666
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=484
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3521 -> comment #9 discusses dropping wicd from new releases

Thanks for all your help.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:58:14 am by Trio3b » Logged
Trio3b

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 06:55:40 pm »

Bump..

VL 7.0 std-gold live on a little HP mini does allow both accounts "vl" and "user" to launch wicd.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas in what config files to look to compare why wicd is launchable by unpriveleged user on the mini but not the ThinkPad T21 running VL 7.0 std-gold.

Of course the T21 uses USB wifi adapter and the hp mini uses onboard.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: