VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 09:17:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hint for printing envelopes in OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice  (Read 8840 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: January 12, 2013, 06:54:17 pm »

Hello.  This is more of a hint than a full HOW-TO.

I was having problems printing envelopes in OpenOffice.org.  It worked in an older version, but stopped in a newer version after an upgrade.  I then tried LibreOffice, and had the same issue, even after adjusting the settings under Insert/Envelope, and adjusting the Printer settings (to env-10, with the proper feed of the envelope selected).  However, it still did not work.  But then I discovered one setting that I had overlooked.  This was "File/Printer Settings/Properties/Device/Printer Language Type".  Here, you'll see that the setting is "PDF".  Change this to either "PostScript Level 3" or "PostScript Level 2", and it should work (assuming, of course, that everything else has been properly set up.)

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:25:06 pm »

thanks Smiley
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:30:47 am »

Thanks Mark,

There is also a great youtube video on this at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXItKsPw3o

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:24 pm »

Printing envelopes has been a nightmare for me.

I have tried a2pa, enscript, Libre Office, Open Office,
Kaligre office.

None have produced predictable results. I have a
HP Printer so nothing that should be unusual.

My next attempt will be using LaTex, and either
geometry or env plugins.

Bigpaws
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 01:17:48 pm »

It was a nightmare for me too, but do try switching the Printer Language Type as I suggested.  It did finally get it working for me.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:50:07 pm »

I did the PDf switch. Envelope printing is still unreliable. I will
mention it did at least get something  to print vs nothing
legible printing before that.

Bigpaws
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:00:27 am »

It was just a short while back that I had major problems with printing envelopes in OOo.  Something seemed to have changed with one of their upgrades (likewise too with LibreOffice).  Also when switching the printer language type to Postscript Level 3, it came out as Postscript Level 2 (though it did still work, but it seemed odd).  Some people talked about this here.

TydfilLewis

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 07:35:39 am »

Not sure if this has been answered.  I stumbled upon this forum item when trying to answer the question myself - how to print on C4 envelope.  A little bit of legwork for myself and resolved it.  The solution is already in OOo / LibreOffice, no need for extensions.

Within your document - right click - from 'drop-down' select 'Page' - from this pane the section headed 'Paper format' select 'Format', scroll down the options available and you will find a selection of envelopes.  It contains all the the more common or garden varieties :

DL, C6, C6/5, C5, C4, #6 3/4(personal), #8(Monarch), #9, #10, #11, & #12

Hope this helps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: