VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 01:25:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: R.I.P. Aaron Swartz  (Read 2540 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:15 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/technology/aaron-swartz-internet-activist-dies-at-26.html

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:01:03 pm »

I was really sad to read this.  Reminds me of Ilya Zhitomirskiy.  High ideals butt heads with today's seeming reality of unstoppable corporate supremacy.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:36:59 pm »

Sad, indeed. And frustrating, if not infuriating.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:59:52 am »

Rodrigo,

Thanks for the link.  Good article, containing a good quote:  “Access to knowledge and access to justice have become all about access to money,"  The article is careful to call the suicide "apparent." 

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:54:26 am »

I read somewhere he was about to get popped for hacking.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:59 pm »

Yes, he was under indictment for "hacking" activities. The government wanted to put him in jail for 35 years and fine him a million dollars.

Many consider "political activism" a better description of what he did. He wanted to set information free. That makes powerful people nervous.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:08:57 am »

Yes, he was under indictment for "hacking" activities. The government wanted to put him in jail for 35 years and fine him a million dollars.

Many consider "political activism" a better description of what he did. He wanted to set information free. That makes powerful people nervous.

Phooey. Political Activism is just an excuse to justify illegal behavior.

If more cretins were hammered as hard for that type of thing, we'd see a whole lot less of this BS on the Interwebz. It's time to take off the kid gloves and start treating these idiots as a threat.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 01:34:17 pm »

And to charge the public to produce public domain knowledge and then hide that knowdledge behind a paywall is legitimate?
BTW, these "idiots" were 14yo while writing the RSS specification.

EDIT: Also, in general is accepted that some punishment was deserved, even when the Aaron's cause was noble. What is being put under question is the proportionality of the penalty (35 years). The publisher didnt want to prosecute Aaron and many inside MIT were considering the same. For some reason the attorney didnt think that way (I am not an US citizen so I will leave the considerations of those reasons to you) and that played -according to the family- a key role in Aaron's decision.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:44:18 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:10:20 pm »

I also read he was offered a plea deal (6 months) which he turned down.

Edit -- Yup. He rejected the offer.

http://boston.com/metrodesk/2013/01/14/mit-hacking-case-lawyer-says-aaron-swartz-was-offered-plea-deal-six-months-behind-bars/hQt8sQI64tnV6FAd7CLcTJ/story.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:01:34 pm by retired1af » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:44:52 pm »

I also read he was offered a plea deal (6 months) which he turned down.

Edit -- Yup. He rejected the offer.

http://boston.com/metrodesk/2013/01/14/mit-hacking-case-lawyer-says-aaron-swartz-was-offered-plea-deal-six-months-behind-bars/hQt8sQI64tnV6FAd7CLcTJ/story.html

Well yeah but whats the point of the whole thing if you accept the charges

--
Jumalauta!!
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 04:42:00 pm »

That's what a plea deal is. You tell the judge you're guilty and you receive the reduced sentence.

There's an entire class of individuals out there who feel that it's OK to do anything they can do to further their ideals, including breaking the law. I, for one, am sick and tired of spending an hour each morning going through security logs and firing off emails because that group of individuals feel they're doing nothing wrong. It's time to start throwing the book at them. The judicial system has been far too lenient in the past, and perhaps making an example out of a few folks will give the rest pause before they continue with their agenda.

There's a right way to create change, and a wrong way. Breaking into systems is the wrong way.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 05:13:45 pm »

That's what a plea deal is. You tell the judge you're guilty and you receive the reduced sentence.

Right, I know what it is, and in some cases is not acceptable. My point is why one would accept charges and set a precendent when you believe exactly the opposite.

There's an entire class of individuals out there who feel that it's OK to do anything they can do to further their ideals, including breaking the law.

How could one know what people "feel"? And why is that relevant?

I, for one, am sick and tired of spending an hour each morning going through security logs and firing off emails because that group of individuals feel they're doing nothing wrong.

Use regular expressions? Grin

It's time to start throwing the book at them. The judicial system has been far too lenient in the past, and perhaps making an example out of a few folks will give the rest pause before they continue with their agenda.

That sounds like an agenda, and no. Thats how a system gets broken. You cant use people as an example. You have to make justice for each case.

There's a right way to create change, and a wrong way. Breaking into systems is the wrong way.

Thats a naive point if view. Some times there is no other option than "appeal to heaven", thats how nations started iirc

--
Jumalauta!!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 06:05:51 pm »

Some may say "good riddance", but I disagree. I think the charges were way out of proportion. Mr. Swartz would have been better off committing manslaughter, which has a lesser maximum sentence.

As I understand, the "hacking" consisted of automatic discovery of links and downloading them, which would have been legal if done manually with a browser. No systems were breached.

Accepting the plea bargain would have left Mr. Swartz a convicted felon, which pretty much is guaranteed to ruin anyone's future.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 06:26:08 pm »

Some may say "good riddance", but I disagree. I think the charges were way out of proportion. Mr. Swartz would have been better off committing manslaughter, which has a lesser maximum sentence.

As I understand, the "hacking" consisted of automatic discovery of links and downloading them, which would have been legal if done manually with a browser. No systems were breached.

Accepting the plea bargain would have left Mr. Swartz a convicted felon, which pretty much is guaranteed to ruin anyone's future.

Exactly.

Anyway, even when I think the particular case is important, one doesnt have to shut down the debate about how a well produced by the public ends behind a paywall. Internet was once thought to be a medium through which people around the globe could join efforts to solve the most interesting and difficult problems. To some degree it is a success, and the fact that one can read SICP1 online, perhaps the greatest work in CS ever made, proves it. Would be really cool to bring that spirit back.

--
Jumalauta!!
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 05:24:23 am »

He hid a notebook in a janitor's closet, used a guest account, and then set the notebook to get around the limitations imposed for guest users. He didn't access it as an authorized user, he purposely attempted to get around the limits imposed by the university.

You have people crying about "open access" to the documents stored on university systems, yet how does the university pay for this stuff? Sure, it's open for students who are currently enrolled, but why should EVERYONE be allowed free and unfettered access? Universities are finding it increasingly difficult to pay the bills and students fly into a rage whenever there's talk of raising tuition rates. So how DOES the institution pay for that?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: