VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 03:48:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] fax interferes with pppoe connection  (Read 969 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: January 14, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »

Hello.  I have efax set up, run using efax-gtk as a front end.  I connect to the Internet with adsl using pppoe, via a phone line in an OvisLink external modem/router (connected to the computer's network card).  For efax, I have an internal 56k modem.

I connect to the Internet using "pppoe-start" command run as root.  When I use efax to answer a phone call, the Internet is disconnected.  After the phone call is ended, the OvisLink thingy will click a couple of times and then reconnect with the Internet (I then will have to rerun the "pppoe-start" command.)

Generally when a phone call is received the Internet connection is unaffected.  But when it is efax answering the call, the Internet disconnects briefly.  Is there something I can do to have this not happen?  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:04:44 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:29 pm »

Separating the phone limes. Create two lines from the same connection
vs using the filter for splitting.

If that is how you have it setup.

Bigpaws
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:15:22 pm »

My computer is in a different room from where the phone jack is.  So, I have a splitter on the phone jack, with one line going to the phone, and the other longer line going to the room with the computer.  At the end of this longer line, I split it into two, with one going to the 56K modem, and the other going to the OvisLink ethernet modem.  If instead I put a three-way splitter at the jack, and had one line go to the phone, with the other two go to the computer, do you think this would work?  Is this sort of what you were suggesting?  I'll give this a try.

The only reason it's a concern is that I'll be running a webserver.  So, I'd prefer to not worry about it disconnecting every time there's a fax.  I'm getting an additional number with a different ring on the same line, and for the fax I'll filter out regular calls with a "ring selector".

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:04:18 am »

Okay, my screwing around with adding different lines and an additional splitter didn't work.  But adding a filter did.  So, now it works.  I can receive faxes and still maintain an Internet connection.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: