VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 01:16:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me do good things!!  (Read 3470 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 12:26:03 am »

There was an excellent linux computer recycling project in Blackpool, in England.   They had European Union money to help a disadvantaged community to become computer literate.

The organisation put on a week long course where you would learn the basics with a linux computer and at the end of the course you took the computer home. Continuing support was provided by their staff in a cyber cafe and they formed a Linux User Group.

I gather when the project funds ran out it folded - but it strikes me that was an excellent way of getting people up and running with their Linux machines.
Cokeskoal

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 06:29:21 pm »

OK - just to wrap up this is the final default look for the computers I am donating.

Thanks again for all the help.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 07:34:36 pm »

Looks awesome!
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 09:33:59 pm »

Fantastic!

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 10:51:18 pm »

Nice work, all the best.

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 08:52:55 am »

A couple of guys in our cigar Lions club modified kubuntu into a system we are now giving out to kids who don't have a computer in their home. It can be downloaded here. It is updated monthly. 

http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:linux/freshness:recently-updated/?q=reno%20cigar%20lions

We started doing this with Vector, but the Vecorites in the club, including myself,  just didn't have time to keep it up.  We have given out hundreds of free used machines with this operating system loaded, working closely with a friendly City and School District.  They  (city  and school district) have folks who deal with problems that arise after the kid gets the machine.  We have our main "give-away" every third Saturday at the local Public Television station's community room, and also set up and maintain kiosks at various non-profits around town.  We only had one kiosk strip out linux and install windows.  We no longer support that kiosk and its kiosk is no longer functional.  We give the kids a 2 hour lesson in using the machine before giving it to them, showing them, among other things, how to modify libreoffice etc so that their homework automatically saves in doc format. The program is very popular. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 11:41:18 am »

I am seriously thinking of contacting my local freecycle group to ask for computers that I can put Vector on and donate then to people who are without and need computers.  I will write some documents to help them and offer some email support.   With luck I will get one or two systems out a month. 
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 03:09:37 am »

[off topic]
There was some spam here, I attempted to move it to the dumpster but moved the entire topic by accident (it's been a while since I last moderated). I'm not sure where it was, but I moved it into 'Technical General'. Please PM me if this is not the right place and I'll place it elsewhere.

Sorry for the inconvenience
[/off topic]

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 04:06:45 am »

[off topic]
There was some spam here, I attempted to move it to the dumpster but moved the entire topic by accident (it's been a while since I last moderated). I'm not sure where it was, but I moved it into 'Technical General'. Please PM me if this is not the right place and I'll place it elsewhere.

Sorry for the inconvenience
[/off topic]

MOAR COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: