VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 07:00:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Icewm install error  (Read 5243 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 12:07:28 am »

with gslapt.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 12:20:24 am »

OK just installed gtkdialog via gslapt and it gives us a log out/shutdown/restart option that works... now we need to get the icons/wallpaper issue resolved and I think the meta package needs rebuilding.  Added pcmanfm via gslapt and now I have backgrounds, however the icons don't work, they give me an error when I double click on them - "Failed to change to directory '' (No such file or directory).  Edit, cured that by switching to pcmanfm-mod as the version of pcmanfm to use, so the icons now work....

Edit, oops spoke prematurely - the icons to the websites do, the rest don't. they give an error
command not found.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:43:46 am by Lyn » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 07:53:19 am »

The differences between the 32 bit and 64 versions are significant. The mod package will need to be modified to reflect that.

My opinion is that the 64 bit version should be updated. Pcmanfm-mod was chosen for several reasons, one being that it had much fewer deps than pcmanfm. By now, it is no longer maintained. If you're running 64 bit, that means you're not limited by ancient hardware, so there should be power to run a more fully featured file and desktop manager.

I am leaning towards pcmanfm. What do you think?
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 11:43:42 pm »

Not sure - I have changed to pcmanfm-mod here - I have had some issues with pcmanfm - could always go back to using idesk or rox  - I thought that pcmanfm was part of lxde?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 05:44:46 am »

LXDE does use pcmanfm, correct.

I did some testing, and several pieces were missing after installing the mod package. Check that you have all dependencies installed:
Code:
ORBit2 >= 2.14.19
leafpad >= 0.8.18.1
icewm >= 1.3.7
gtkdialog >= 0.8.0
obmixer >= 0.11
aumix >= 2.9.1
yad >= 0.14.0
udisks >= 1.0.2
upower >= 0.9.8
libatasmart >= 0.17
consolekit >= 0.4.3
libgnome-keyring >= 2.32.0
gvfs >= 1.6.6
xarchiver >= 0.5.2
pcmanfm >= 0.9.9
lxterminal >= 0.1.11
lxmenu-data >= 0.1.2
gtkfind >= 1.1

There are also some 32 bit binaries within the package itself, which won't work in Vlocity. One is "fbrun". If you (re)install fluxbox, it will take care of that.

As far as the desktop icons not working:
Pcmanfm-mod does not support the trash function. It is what it is.
The desktop shortcuts have some problems. Try opening the desktop files in a text editor for troubleshooting and corrections. Some have an empty line "Path=". Removing that line helps with pcmanfm. Also, there are call for programs "browser" or "browser-vl", which may not be part of a minimal install. Find the "Exec=****" line, and try that command by itself in a terminal. Problems can be fixed by editing the desktop files to use working commands, or add the needed programs.

Pcmanfm-mod was superseded by Spacefm. That might be a good choice too. This package works for me: http://slackware.org.uk/slacky/slackware64-13.37/desktop/spacefm/0.7.2/spacefm-0.7.2-x86_64-1sl.txz

Switching file/desktop manager will require several changes in the config files. Do a "grep pcmanfm ~/.icewm/*" to find out which ones.

This is a productive thread, keep the ideas coming.   Smiley
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 06:33:40 am »

well I can't find lxterminal, lxmenu-data or gtkfind.

I understand what you are saying about icons, after all they are designed for all window managers/environments and not necessarily for icewm - which after all is minimalist.

I would suggest Spacefm might be a good fit if its under development.

I appreciate the attention to this, after all why would someone use a minimalist window manager on a 64 bit system?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 07:42:41 am »

why would someone use a minimalist window manager on a 64 bit system?
Because we feel the need, the need for speed!    Grin

Still working on it. Now moving towards using pcmanfm, as all the needed parts are already in our repo.

Edit: Had some problems with spacefm, but will revisit it when the rest is in place.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:53:00 am by nightflier » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:19 pm »

Also there is an innate reluctance to change, I have always liked IceWM - I love the fact that nearly everything is configurable by changing a text file..... OK I don't know everything about it but its nice and simple and does what I like.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 05:53:17 pm »

Got most of it working, except the Trash icon on the desktop. The file has a line in it supposedly limiting it to be shown in KDE, but pcmanfm doesn't respect that and crashes when double-clicking on it.  Angry
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 11:13:53 pm »

I appreciate your efforts in doing this, would be interesting to find out how many others use icewm who are not running light....
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »

Got a starter package for intrepid testers.  Grin

I tested this on an install without XFCE. PCManFM gives me problems if XFCE is not excluded in the install.  Sad

Make sure you have the following packages+deps installed first:
Code:
aumix
gtkdialog
gvfs
icewm
libatasmart
libgnome-keyring
libtasn1
lxmenu-data
menu-cache
obmixer
ORBit2
pcmanfm
upower
yad

Forcibly install (slapt-get --install --ignore-dep) udisks
- I have put in a request to correct the missing dep for it

Download and install this one too:
http://slackware.org.uk/slacky/slackware64-13.37/desktop/gmrun/0.9.2/gmrun-0.9.2-x86_64-1sl.txz
- made request to have it added to our repo

Finally, this one:
http://cincibjj.com/tmp/icewmvmods-3-noarch-1vl70.txz

I was hoping to stick to what already was in the repo, but it seems like some adjustments need to be made no matter what. The pcmanfm/xfce issue was unexpected. Spacefm may be the way to go after all.

EDIT: After a cold boot, it started working just fine.. should be good to add to a full STD installation. If you test it, make sure to re-start your machine.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:21:39 pm by nightflier » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 09:00:22 am »

I will give this a go, but for the moment my internet is down and I can't actually download anything at work... frustraiting!   Could be a couple of weeks before I get back properly on the net!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 05:34:16 am »

Actually, the delay may be a good thing. I've come full circle, back to pcmanfm-mod. Stay tuned for update.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 06:13:09 am »

I am back... and happy to give things a try...  what do you suggest?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:27 am »

EDITED: New package ready:
http://cincibjj.com/tmp/icewmvmods-3-x86_64-3vl70.txz

These deps apply to an installation of VL7 Standard 64-bit without XFCE, xap or optional programs. Install before the mod package.
Code:
aumix
gtkdialog
gdm
icewm
libatasmart
obmixer
ORBit2
pcmanfm-mod
rarity
udev
udisks
upower
yad
zenity
Also, until a gmrun package makes it into our repo:
http://slackware.org.uk/slacky/slackware64-13.37/desktop/gmrun/0.9.2/gmrun-0.9.2-x86_64-1sl.txz

This mod will give you the IceWM window manager with pcmanfm-mod managing the desktop. Included are scripts for auto-mounting removable media without using hal or gvfs.

Know issues:
The trash feature is not supported.
Auto-mount only works on media inserted after login. Drives with media already present will be ignored.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:56:19 pm by nightflier » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: