VectorLinux
August 30, 2014, 02:17:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xubuntu divorcee (UK) -- VL7 std Gold - Wow!  (Read 2312 times)
jessejazza

« on: February 03, 2013, 01:22:20 pm »

Just installed this evening on my spare machine to test and explore.

Little stunned.... i thought i'd installed kde at first look. It must be the smartest xfce desktop i've seen.

Been using ubuntu and then xubuntu (last couple of years) since 2007. I stuck with ubuntu as that was the first distro i tried. I find too many bugs now and in 12.04 they put Abiword 2.9.2 in, which is a buggy development version. I tried Zenwalk a couple of years ago and was struck by the speed of these Slack distros (well i think they're faster but don't know why yet) - i was aware of Salix and VL but didn't try them as i wanted to do a Linux from Scratch or Slack build to learn more about linux. I didn't achieve that; i look after my mother with Alzheimer's, change her incontinence pads and feed her mouthful by mouthful (pretty grissly really).

As for xfce - i've always liked it. Simple, straightforward, fit for purpose - if one wants something more fancy then use kde. My machine is about a year old and i do object to the idea that anyone using xfce must be using a PIII or some such. xfce is my DE of choice (must admit i might remove the Cairo applet... bit fancy for me!).

As they say "Go Slack - and you won't go back". I've got lots to learn on the different packaging so VL will be on my spare PC while i get the hang of it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:54:33 pm by jessejazza » Logged
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:12:46 pm »

Welcome to Vector Linux! I'm one of those that just HAS to play with multiple distributions. Currently, I have 5 different installations (VL 7 SOHO, VLocity 7.1 beta (x2), Fedora XFCE and Mint XFCE) and I'm toying with the idea of installing a couple more.

However, SOHO is my first choice and when I have work to do, it's my "go to" distro. I agree, Slack based distros are the best, and VL stands tall above them all.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:06:26 pm »

Howdy and Welcome. Watching Beyonce during half time Superbowl show on big screen TV.

truck by the speed of these Slack distros (well i think they're faster but don't know why yet

Background running processes in Ubuntu are more than Slackware but I never studied it that much.

i look after my mother
Me also kinda sorta/ I am the emergency go to guy when Mom needs a full
time Outlaw Biker to harrass/scare the doctors and nurses into not forgetting her in her room. Settled her in Sun City a few blocks from my lil sister. I visit on a daily basis.

object to the idea that anyone using xfce must be using a PIII or some such

I run VL7STD Gold on a IBM M41 dual drive IDE desktop I let the customers play with in my M/C shop and it is the media center for the sound system in my motorcycle shop also.
Pentium 3 1gig of ram but runs wireless.

VL7STD Gold on a Amrel RT 786EX Laptop that is a P4 512MB . I use hot-swap hardrives on it and it runs AntiX 12
on another hard drive. So I kinda fall into the ancient hardware category.

Good thing is old hardware makes me learn to be  proficient in tweaking Windows Managers instead of Desktop Environments. I don't post here that much but for what I do. I have everything I need.

jessejazza

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 02:56:51 am »

As for xfce - i've always liked it. Simple, straightforward, fit for purpose - if one wants something more fancy then use kde. My machine is about a year old and i do object to the idea that anyone using xfce must be using a PIII or some such. xfce is my DE of choice (must admit i might remove the Cairo applet... bit fancy for me!).

Take that back... i'm beginning to really like Cairo Grin

Irritating if one leaves it on the bottom... i put it on left hand side and that's much better. At the bottom or on the right the mouse icon catches it as it passes over which is a pain.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:03:50 am by jessejazza » Logged
altscribe

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 04:46:26 pm »

You made a good choice.  VL is not just fast, it's easy to set up and the "system gurus" have a clear understanding of what real quality assurance is all about.  Things work out of the box.  If the folks at Zen Linux focused on their QA like the VL folks do they would have a real nice distro - but like so many distros, if you hit a problem, or something doesn't cooperate with everything else you need to be a real expert or be ready to do a lot of reading.  As an "old" computer scientist, I am past proving how smart I am, and just want stuff to install and run without any drama.  Vector does this.  I still run Debian (now Linux Mint Debian Edition, for the Cinnamon interface) or Slackware on my big, multi-processor machines that I use for audio and video production, but am seriously considering trying Vector on one of them just for the raw speed!  For many everyday tasks I have totally switched to Vector because it's so fast and clean, and find myself using it more and more.  After 3 years of use I am now confident that Vector can handle any task and is worthy and safe for "production" machines where $$$$ is on the line.  In the computer biz, that confidence is the ultimate compliment!  You have chosen a great platform to really learn Linux.  Keep your terminal open, and use it - that's where the real power of Linux is kept.  Good luck!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 04:51:59 pm »

welcome Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: