VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Need help with installing Firestorm, a 32 bit app in Vlocity  (Read 2284 times)

Dark Rider

Need help with installing Firestorm, a 32 bit app in Vlocity
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:58:51 am »

I'm using Vlocity 7.0. There is a 32bit program that has trouble running on all 64 bit Linux Os's called Firestorm.  ( fighting with this on Mint too)  The developers say they dont support 64 bit even though i know some people have gotten this to work. It's not in Gslapt, Slackfind doesn't have it. I'd try to compile it from source either with Vpackager or manually but i can't even seem to get to the source in Vector as the instructions are for apt-get. There are instructions here for compiling but they are for Kunbuntu. See here: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_compiling_firestorm

Edited to correct the title. I have no idea how that URL became the title.. i think it's cus my darn touchpad makes the mouse jump around as i'm trying. sorry... was funny though..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:05:20 am by Dark Rider »

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_compiling_firestorm
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 03:53:39 am »

I believe you need multilib libraries to build that but VL do not have that...sorry about that...

Dark Rider

Re: Need help with installing Firestorm, a 32 bit app in Vlocity
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:07:43 am »

Thanks for the info. I'll try to find another second life viewer that might work.

Edit; Er.. wait.. my original thread is still there.. so it wasn't my mistake with the title.. now there are two threads on this.. sorry mods.. i have no idea how or why this happened.  I don't remember posting two threads on the same topic.. especially one with a title of "http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_compiling_firestorm". I wonder if it could have happened as i was editing the original thread with my touchpad messing up on me. I was probably editing it to add the URL of the app. I feel like i'm losing my mind. Will a mod please delete the other thread since it has no replies?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:52:57 am by Dark Rider »

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:37:29 pm »

all you need is to install the 32bit libs that your program requires.
the problem will be to find a 32bit binary that is compatible(or to compile it), and then to figure out what those libs are.
VLocity will run 32bit apps.

Dark Rider

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »

I'm going to attempt This: http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:multilib#obtaining_multilib_packages

This article contains instructions on how to create a true multilib Slackware64. A multilib 64bit Linux system is capable of running 64bit as well as 32bit software. The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard dictates the best way to achieve a clean separation between 64bit and 32bit software on a single system. With Slackware64 we chose to adopt this standard, so it has been prepared to look for 64bit libraries in /lib64 and /usr/lib64 directories. This is why I call Slackware64 “multilib-ready” - even though 32bit libraries will be looked for in /lib and /usr/lib, Slackware64 does not ship with any 32bit software.

I know VLocity is slackware based but don't know how close it is to this Slackware64 version. I have tried other Second Life viewer clients, (which is what Firestorm is.. a client for the online game Second Life) on Mint 64 and they all return the same errors. Even installing multilib /multiarch libraries in Mint doesn't help and the best thinkers over there have no clue on how to proceed. I'd use another viewer if i could find one made for 64 bit slackware but it doesn't seem like anyone's made one. This might be my best option.  Wish me luck.