VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 07:48:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with installing Firestorm, a 32 bit app in Vlocity  (Read 1624 times)
Dark Rider

« on: February 06, 2013, 02:58:51 am »

I'm using Vlocity 7.0. There is a 32bit program that has trouble running on all 64 bit Linux Os's called Firestorm.  ( fighting with this on Mint too)  The developers say they dont support 64 bit even though i know some people have gotten this to work. It's not in Gslapt, Slackfind doesn't have it. I'd try to compile it from source either with Vpackager or manually but i can't even seem to get to the source in Vector as the instructions are for apt-get. There are instructions here for compiling but they are for Kunbuntu. See here: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_compiling_firestorm

Edited to correct the title. I have no idea how that URL became the title.. i think it's cus my darn touchpad makes the mouse jump around as i'm trying. sorry... was funny though..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:05:20 am by Dark Rider » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 03:53:39 am »

I believe you need multilib libraries to build that but VL do not have that...sorry about that...
Dark Rider

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:07:43 am »

Thanks for the info. I'll try to find another second life viewer that might work.

Edit; Er.. wait.. my original thread is still there.. so it wasn't my mistake with the title.. now there are two threads on this.. sorry mods.. i have no idea how or why this happened.  I don't remember posting two threads on the same topic.. especially one with a title of "http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_compiling_firestorm". I wonder if it could have happened as i was editing the original thread with my touchpad messing up on me. I was probably editing it to add the URL of the app. I feel like i'm losing my mind. Will a mod please delete the other thread since it has no replies?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:52:57 am by Dark Rider » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:37:29 pm »

all you need is to install the 32bit libs that your program requires.
the problem will be to find a 32bit binary that is compatible(or to compile it), and then to figure out what those libs are.
VLocity will run 32bit apps.
Dark Rider

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »

I'm going to attempt This: http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:multilib#obtaining_multilib_packages

This article contains instructions on how to create a true multilib Slackware64. A multilib 64bit Linux system is capable of running 64bit as well as 32bit software. The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard dictates the best way to achieve a clean separation between 64bit and 32bit software on a single system. With Slackware64 we chose to adopt this standard, so it has been prepared to look for 64bit libraries in /lib64 and /usr/lib64 directories. This is why I call Slackware64 “multilib-ready” - even though 32bit libraries will be looked for in /lib and /usr/lib, Slackware64 does not ship with any 32bit software.

I know VLocity is slackware based but don't know how close it is to this Slackware64 version. I have tried other Second Life viewer clients, (which is what Firestorm is.. a client for the online game Second Life) on Mint 64 and they all return the same errors. Even installing multilib /multiarch libraries in Mint doesn't help and the best thinkers over there have no clue on how to proceed. I'd use another viewer if i could find one made for 64 bit slackware but it doesn't seem like anyone's made one. This might be my best option.  Wish me luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: