VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 01:37:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SBBuilder and SlackBuilds Starting with the basics.  (Read 4404 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: February 11, 2013, 11:14:37 am »

Video gives some good ground work info...
What is a SlackBuild?
What is SBBuilder?
What SBBuilder does?
What it does not do?
SlackBuilds and SBbuilder on Vectorlinux

What SBBuilder does not do is briefly touched on in the above Video but will be followed up on in the next video to appear in this thread.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:11:46 am »

When will your next tutorial come out?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:32:21 pm »

Thanks!

Looking forward to the next one as I still don't know what to do with a "slackbuild."  You said one or two days but no hurry here as  I am waiting for 7.1, but then will want to get strigi or neomuk or akonadi or something like that running which will constantly index my hard drive.  Perhaps this will also allow me to configure yate properly.  Wow. What power!

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 01:44:57 pm »

We really don't use that any more to create packages. it's all automated now via a buildbot.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 01:51:26 pm »

We really don't use that any more to create packages. it's all automated now via a buildbot.

Correct.  But fwiw, the buildbot uses slackbuilds generated with sbbuilder to generate packages.  So although we dont use it directly, its still a vital part of the automated build system

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 03:18:24 am »

Stretchedthin,

What about a buildbot video?

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 10:25:18 am »

That generates some confusion..so although you do not have any interest in the packages an individual may create for Vector, could an individual make a package from ie free code and use it on vector 7.0 or 7.1 with this knowledge of sbbuilder? and does that imply there will be no support.. available for personal use only? and lastly will sbbuilder continue to be available in the repository?

Looking forward to viewing the next video

Everything Is Relative
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 10:35:17 am »

If you have the source code to build a package, just do it the old fashioned way with configure, make and make install.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:15:47 am »

Thanks...personally...think I will stick to repository availability as at least there is  some hope of assistance if it does not work.
cheers

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:19 am »

You can definitely use sbbuilder to create packages for personal user... sbbuilder simply tries (and does very well) to generate a build script that will build the package for you.

Using a combination of sbbuilder + buildbot for automated builds offers several advantages over contributed binary packages from users.  Using the automated builds we can get re-producible results.  Because packages are built on a clean environment, we eliminate the possibility of hosting bad packages with un-necessary dependencies.  Also, because the build scripts are kept in a version control system, package updates are as simple as changing one line on the build script.  One more and I can't emphasize how cool this one is, making a new release of the distro is just a matter of editing a few text files to produce new packages and begin the testing phase.

If you'd like to know how to use the buildbot system, see http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/buildbot/docs

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:22:39 pm »

Thank You Smiley

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: