VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 09:24:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] wmv to vob?  (Read 2964 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:18 pm »

Hi
looking for app that will convert wmv to vob

A while back I converted some vhs to wmv using windows movie maker, since, I transfered them to vector and can view them in mplayer.

wanting to convert wmv to vob so I can burn to dvd to watch in  standard dvd player

any suggestions? is there a gui frontend to mencoder or ffmpeg or something to simplify it.

Thanks

edit: ffmpeg -i will convert wmv to vob but the result is blocky as these were 320x I think..they look fine full screen in mplayer on the laptop at 1024x 768 as wmv but not watchable as vob  so wanting to easily modify if possoble I guess.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:00:45 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:21:20 am »

ffmpeg is a VERY powerful tool. You might find programs that do what you want (using ffmpeg), or you could pass the necessary parameters to ffmpeg yourself. There are a lot of commands and settings you can change. The trick of course is finding the exact right combination :-).

I'm pretty sure you'll want to use the '-target dvd' flag, otherwise not sure.

Or perhaps you could use a dvd creator program like 'dvdstyler'. Not sure how well it works, but since it's made specifically to write DVD's it should already have the right FFMPEG parameters configured.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:36 am »

I use tovid-gui to convert it to mpeg, and then with the resultant mpeg use dvdstyler to make a dvd.  Tovid may now be able to do the whole operation in one shot, but I'm not sure (the version I use is an older version, but I think the newer tovid also burns the converted file to dvd.)

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:46:00 pm »

Edit: -sameq...sorry to be a bother. (ffmpeg -i file.wmv -sameq file.vob)

Thanks...

ffmpeg IS very powerfull and does convert wmv to vob with a simple -i, amazing. and I can burn the vob with k3b to a dvd and be done.

but..the vob is very blocky and I understand I need some parameters during the process. thought there may be a simple set of parameters or an app that has good settings for conversion to vob.

guessing -target dvd would burn the dvd as part of the process..I like to play the vob prior so as not to waste disc, so can burn with k3b. but good to know

Did try -vcodec libx264 (seen somewhere) but it took forever and then had sound but no picture. thus the query. guessing you can use -vcodec codec  but do not know what is available

Thanks, will continue with the ffmpeg readings and try TOVID and dvdstyler as a combo if it is more than six months figureing out the endless parameters of ffmpeg...lol
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:53:18 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:01:47 pm »

although I do now have a watchable .vob file, when I use k3b dvd project and put the .vob in the video ts folder k3b does not want to burn it as it does not have all the required files. so guess I need the .info and or .bup files to play in a dvd player. which is odd as I am sure I have burned .vob and played in dvd player.

how do I generate the required files?

edit:  ok decided that perhaps tovid would do it so installed...

when I open tovid the default screen suggests it can create and burn a dvd, I add .vob check burn and eject and click bottom button to start and it gives error for seven missing dependencies. will play with it some more.
missing-mplex, mpeg2enc, yuvfps, yuvdenoise, ppmtoy4m, mp2enc, jpeg2yuv

so although the page states that I only need a  vid and name I guess I need alot more. where do I get these files or do I need to tell the app to use existing files somewhere?

edit: ok missed the target..will try -target dvd
ok thats -target ntsc-dvd
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:53:01 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:35:50 am »

well...after three hours waiting I did finally get a vob from ffmpeg -i file.wmv -target ntsc-dvd file.vob that is watchable in mplayer but it still will not burn with k3b. I still can not figure out why tovid does not work. although entertaining, a complete waste of time and my eyes are bleeding from reading, it will never get figured out at this rate, so I am deleting all the wmv and anyone who wants to see small lunatics romping about can go elsewhere. this is ridiculous.

Everything Is Relative
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:20:03 pm »

Admittedly, I prefer the older version of tovid (0.31 instead of 0.34).  It was far simpler.  They went a bit nuts on options in the later release and just made it confusing.  Anyway, tovid was just a collection of scripts using either ffmpeg or mencoder to convert files like wmv or avi to mpeg.  After that, I would use dvdstyler to make a dvd.  So, if you can find some correct command line commands, then you should be able to do it with just ffmpeg.  Myself, I prefer not to have to screw around with such things, which is why I used to use tovid (the one tool I found that was reliable) along with dvdstyler.  Admittedly, I haven't made a dvd out of a video file (avi, mpeg, wmv, flv, etc) for a while.

Hmm, I can't seem to find version 0.31 anywhere on the net.  I just tried 0.34, which worked after I installed dvdauthor.  However, it failed to convert an flv file for some reason (I didn't have a wmv to test, so I tried it with an flv file).  Perhaps the flv file was faulty, or maybe I'm missing some dependency. 

Anyway, I don't know what to recommend.  Perhaps you could try the command lines that the tovid site gives.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 04:32:08 pm »

Ya Sorry,

What you suggest is that tovid will convert(wmv,avi,flv,etc) to mpeg which is required by dvdstyler. which converts mpg to vob and generates the inf and bup that make up the video_ts folder.yes?

thus I would have to use ffmpeg to convert to mpeg rather than vob (if not using tovid, which I can not get to work) and use dvd styler to convert the mpeg to vob generating the required inf and bup in the process.?

I thought I could use ffmpeg to make a vob and burn in k3b as a single file, maby two, no menu, just play on insert,apparently not possible

With windows you just put the file in an application and wait for hours and a dvd is ready to burn or is burned.

If dvdstyler does that, I did not get that far, I think these apps are ahead of there time dependency wise where VL is concerned and can get things messed up. Had hope for a simple process but do not have enough experience to achieve it with linux as usual.

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

Everything Is Relative
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 04:53:16 pm »

Don't know how well this will work.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6808241_convert-wmv-dvd-linux.html

It points to this site that apparently will do the conversion.

http://mediaconverter.org/

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:38:34 pm »

Thanks
Yes I did see that already but 1 it defeats the purpose and 2 I do not need more junkmail sent by a site that converted a wmv to a vob. will the resulting vob play in the standard dvd player? who knows

I can easily boot winxp and drag the file to the freeware dvdflick press convert and then burn the resulting dvd folder to a disc with the freeware imgburn. or I can use windows dvd maker on win 7 and do the same thing.

I was wanting to do it simple and fast on linux either a bit of code in a terminal or via a gui application. not that I have to, but would need windows less.

ffmpeg -i file.wmv -sameq file.vob creates a vob quickly with the same quality as the wmv when played in mplayer

ffmpeg -i file.wmv -target ntsc-dvd file.vob creates a much larger file and takes much longer with a bit less quality but acceptable when played in mplayer.

neither of these vob will play in the dvd player when burned as data or when draged to the video_ts folder of a dvd project in k3b

I installed tovid but it has seven missing dependences,

I installed dvdstyler but it fails if I drag on the wmv or vob (but may require only mpeg?)

I installed avidemux but it installs libpxv or something that messes up mplayer (which I forgot)and uninstalled and downgraded the lib

I seem to think I should be able to generate the same vob any online site can create and be able to create a dvd from it to play in the dvd player. I simply need to know how to do that.

evidently those who know spent a lot of time figureing it out and due to extesive variables have no desire to share. fair enough

perhaps ffmpeg is not capable of generating a burnable vob for dvd playback would be nice to know that at least.

originally I was wanting to convert some vhs I converted to wmv to dvd but i did it in windows. I just want to know now because it bugs me linux can not do it easier and faster. Undecided

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 04:05:15 am »

Openshot has a DVD profile in the export menu. It is pretty easy to use. You may be able to just rename the file it produces to .vob and use k3b to burn it.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 10:26:38 am »

thanks worth a try

installed dvdauthor

use avi as wmv in question so:

ffmpeg -i file.avi -target ntsc-dvd file.mpg

this creates the file.mpeg

create home/user/DVD and in it place video.xml and file.mpg
this is the .xml
Code:
<dvdauthor dest="/home/overthere/DVD">
    <vmgm />
        <titleset>
        <titles>
            <pgc>
                <vob
                file="/home/overthere/DVD/file.mpeg" />
              </pgc>
        </titles>
    </titleset>
</dvdauthor>

from terminal with: dvdauthor -x video.xml
Code:
WARN: unknown mpeg2 aspect ratio 4

INFO: Video pts = 0.533 .. 7571.463
INFO: Audio[0] pts = 0.533 .. 7571.445
STAT: VOBU 12538 at 2875MB, 1 PGCs
CHAPTERS: VTS[1/1] 0.000
WARN: aspect ratio was not autodetected
INFO: Generating VTS with the following video attributes:
INFO: MPEG version: mpeg2
INFO: TV standard: ntsc
INFO: Aspect ratio: 4:3
INFO: Resolution: 720x480
INFO: Audio ch 0 format: ac3/6ch,  48khz drc

STAT: fixed 12538 VOBUs                         
INFO: dvdauthor creating table of contents
INFO: Scanning /home/overthere/DVD/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
ERR:  no video format specified for VMGM

this creates the audio and video_ts folders with ifo and bup files in /DVD

when attempt to burn with k3b this error
Devices

Code:
-----------------------
PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-106D 1.07 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite] [%7]

K3b::IsoImager
-----------------------
mkisofs print size result: 0 (0 bytes)

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 2.0.2
KDE Version: 4.9.3
QT Version:  4.8.2
Kernel:      3.0.17

Used versions
-----------------------
mkisofs: 1.1.11

mkisofs
-----------------------
/usr/bin/genisoimage: No such file or directory. Failed to open VIDEO_TS.IFO
/usr/bin/genisoimage: Can't open VMG info for '/tmp/kde-overthere/k3bVideoDvd0/'.
/usr/bin/genisoimage: Unable to parse DVD-Video structures.
/usr/bin/genisoimage: Could not find correct 'VIDEO_TS' directory.
Possible reasons:
  - VIDEO_TS subdirectory was not found on specified location
  - VIDEO_TS has invalid contents

mkisofs calculate size command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/genisoimage -gui -graft-points -print-size -quiet -volid K3b data project -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2010 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND MICHAL MALEK -publisher  -preparer  -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-overthere/k3bmn7881.tmp -no-cache-inodes -udf -iso-level 1 -path-list /tmp/kde-overthere/k3btQ7881.tmp -dvd-video -f /tmp/kde-overthere/k3bVideoDvd0

have read that dvdauthor requires format=ntsc but do not know where to specify if this is the problem

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:00:11 am »

Finally success, avi to dvd using the same process as last posted  with a downgrade to dvdauthor 0.6.18 from 0.7.0.

also converted wmv to mpg by adding -sameq -aspect 4:3 after -target, did not work without -aspect 4:3

both burned with k3b dvd project

will do additional testing

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips, will have a closer look now at the additional suggested software installed.

will mark as solved.

Everything Is Relative
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:16:01 pm »

Glad to hear it.  

If you are interested still in finding one program that does the whole shebang (IE, encoding and disc burning), then I've discovered that the absolute latest Tovid from Subversion does work (the Vector package of Tovid does not work properly).  The command to run it once installed is "tovid gui".  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:18:20 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:47 pm »

Thanks..good to know and I may try it. although the three step process is rather simple it is nice at times to click open a app, add a file and click burn...cheers

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: