VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 10:55:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UEFI Secure Boot -- Windows locking out Linux  (Read 890 times)
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« on: February 17, 2013, 12:08:13 pm »

I've been reading how in the near future computers will have something called "secure boot" specifically geared to Windows, which will prevent Linux from being installed on such machines.  Apparently Fedora has negotiated paying a regular ransom charge to Microsoft to make it possible to install Fedora on these UEFI Secure Boot machines.  Anyway, seems the days of easily creating dual-boot systems will be gone.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36:32 pm »

The days of UEFI boot machines are already upon us. And you can still create multi-boot machines by turning off UEFI in the BIOS.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:45:54 pm »

That's good to hear.  Here's the article I was referring to about Fedora.  This article doesn't paint quite as rosy a picture, though.  And some other articles have stated that while MS claims the Secure Boot can be turned off, there are worries that the manufacturers of hardware may not provide users with this option.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:59:13 pm »

What you have to do is reinstall the Windows OS with the UEFI turned off. The kills all the secure boot crap, and you then have a normal machine. There's another thread around here talking about the issue, too.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=16852

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 03:12:30 pm »

Thanks to the link to the other thread.  It was interesting.  Anyway, fortunately for me I'm not intending to get a new computer anytime soon.  So, I'm spared the hassles and worries for now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: