VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 09:16:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New rootkit in the wild  (Read 2625 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 12:20:28 am »

As it turns out some body was using a windows seven machine on a centos server and it got a keylogger that was not detected and 70 pages later they finally found it. although linux was compromised it was only because no one bothered to scan windows for virus. malwarebytes detected the keylogger. which evidently passed on root passwords when used by an admin. so what was all the fuss..connecting windows to linux is always going to offer the threat. maby I missed something

Everything Is Relative
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 03:48:02 am »

The most recent java exploits were not OS specific. Windows, OS X, and Linux were all affected. There were a few cases in that thread where Apple workstations were used to access the servers. No word as yet on the results of scans from those machines.

Bear in mind, Linux is only as secure as the user who's using it. That includes workstations. Far too many think Linux is secure and operate on that assumption.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 06:39:35 am »

One must agree, the reality is the rootkit was designed for centos and as you say other malware has been seen of late. perhaps only a matter of time I would rather not admit. linux does have variety still on its side making it at least more complex for attachers. there are vulnerabilities in linux which may have  been the cause and I am perhaps relieved to think this event was caused by windows.

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: