VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 08:15:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flashing Screen Some Games (Like Cube2, Teeworls etc)  (Read 1962 times)
WINDOWS_KILLER

« on: February 28, 2013, 05:29:32 am »

Hello,

My name is  Michael and this my first topic i post. I'm 14years old and im fanatic of Linux..... But i have a little problem with vector...
I recently installed vector Linux, and the first thing I did was to install some of my best open source games. I Know them very well, because im an old user of Linux. I downloaded them but some of them have flashing screen but others no!!! My laptop doesn't have problem with the system requirements.
Please Help!! Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:53:19 am »

1.  What version of Vector did you install?
2.  What are your system specs (include CPU, RAM, Video, etc.)

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
WINDOWS_KILLER

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:32:08 am »

As i told you before these games play well in ubuntu and othet linux IN THE SAME COMPUTER.
My vector linux is downloaded from the official site as a newest version (i think it's VL LIGHT 6.0)
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 04:47:30 am »

As i told you before these games play well in ubuntu and othet linux IN THE SAME COMPUTER.
We understand this, but it does help to know what hardware you have. Just 'it works in Ubuntu' will not help us solve the problem you're having.

My vector linux is downloaded from the official site as a newest version (i think it's VL LIGHT 6.0)
If it's really the latest version, it should be VL 7.0 Light. you can check your vector linux version in the terminal. Open a terminal, and type (or copy this)
Code:
cat /etc/vector-version

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:49:47 am »

This isn't Ubuntu. This isn't "other Linux". If you installed VL Light 6.0, you're working with ancient drivers. If your notebook is using Intel graphics, it's no small wonder that you're getting screen flashing.

Now. Provide the requested information.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:48:49 am »

@WINDOWS_KILLER

Hi Michael. We are happy to see more people join the wonderful world of free software. Especially younger users like you.

People here want to help you out as much as we can. To do so, we need your cooperation. It is a two way street. To be helpful, we need to get a picture of what hardware and software you are running, and specific information about the issues you are facing. If your initial post does not provide the necessary information, the members will ask you about it. At that point, you need to respond as well as you can, and stick with the thread. It can take a lot of back and forth before you make progress.

Learning to use an operating system takes time and effort. The same goes for these help forums, but in some ways it is harder, because you are interfacing with people. Maybe several people, who volunteer their help. People skills are vastly different from technical skills. Be patient and persistent. Ask, listen, answer. It will be worth it.
WINDOWS_KILLER

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 07:07:20 am »

This is my proccesor...

-Intel Pentium M 715 proccesor (1.5ghz, 499mhz FSB ,2MB L2 CACHE)

But as you can see this proccesor can easily display these games.

Thanks for your fast replies.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 07:09:58 am »

And, the version of Vector Linux you are using? (hint: check the file /etc/vector-version).
Plus, the desktop environment you are using? XFCE, IceWM..
WINDOWS_KILLER

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 07:33:58 am »

Can you please give me a command to check it out?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 07:58:28 am »

Let's try this again. A better response from you would have been something like:

- the file /etc/vector-version shows "<whatever it says>"
- how do I identify the desktop environment?

Assuming you are asking about the desktop environment, please describe what your desktop looks like. Is there a Menu button in the lower left hand corner? Is there a panel (tool bar) at the top? Is there a fancy dock at the bottom? What did the default wallpaper or desktop color look like?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 09:06:03 am »

This is my proccesor...

-Intel Pentium M 715 proccesor (1.5ghz, 499mhz FSB ,2MB L2 CACHE)

But as you can see this proccesor can easily display these games.

Thanks for your fast replies.

And the graphics? How much RAM is in the notebook?

When someone asks you for system specs, we're talking about EVERYTHING that affects performance. CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.

roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 09:31:34 pm »

Can you please give me a command to check it out?

We can write this info to a file at the same time you're looking at it. Open a terminal, use the following commands.
Code:
bash | tee ~/compinfo
cat /etc/vector-version
pgrep -l .*wm.*
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "modules/drivers"
exit

Ok, you've seen the info. Now you can share it.
Code:
cat ~/compinfo

You probably know this already, but if you don't: from terminal, left-click and drag to highlight, right-click to copy, and (here's the important part) click left and right at the same time to paste. (If you have a three-button touchpad, use the middle button to paste).

From what you've said, I think you're probably right about it being Light 6. If it is, upgrading to Light 7.0 will probably solve at least some of this problem. "cat /etc/vector-version" tells your version for sure. The Headacher had given you that command, and nightflier hinted at it again. Not a reprimand, just advice. Getting to know a linux is fun for you, or you wouldn't still be doing it.

So.

Take a breath, smile, let it out. Slow down and relax. Take time to enjoy getting to know VL. Good to see you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:34:05 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL Light 7.0, icewm/spacefm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: