VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Epson XP 202  (Read 3597 times)

Lyn

• Vectorian
Epson XP 202
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:55 am »

Fun and games getting this set up, the linux printers database says it works perfectly.   My cups can't detect it, I downloaded the driver as recommended and converted it with rpm2tgz and installed the package as root.  Cups can't find it as a printer and the driver doesn't show up in the list. 

Any ideas of where I go from here?

Lyn

• Vectorian
Re: Epson XP 202
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:47:00 am »

OK - downgraded to cups 1.4.6 - now the system sees the printer.  Downloaded the driver and converted it using rpm2tgz and installed the package, which creates a file hierarchy under opt.  Under Mint I downloaded the driver from the epson site and installed it and cups could then see it, in Velocity it doesn't add the printer to the list in cups.... I am guessing I need to create some sym links from the files under opt to the ones for cups, question is where which ones and how?

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:00:05 pm »

There seems to be something inherently wrong with slackware and its offsprings
in using some Epson printers with the newer cups versions. In my case
Epson LQ-300 does not function properly anymore. It hangs after printing
one page and does not advance to the next one. Had to downgrade to
cups-1.4.6. I tried 3 different slackies.

In debian based boxes no such problem.

Reported it in cups and slackware forums and never go ta reply. :(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:01:43 pm by Pita »

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:19:42 am »

Bugger.... well no problem with Mint - which is a shame - will have to switch to using that for printing - which is mad.  There must be a way of adding the drivers to cups...

bigpaws

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:32:57 am »

Slackware 14.0 cups version needed to be upgraded.

Bigpaws

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:41:42 am »

Lyn,

I had same problem with my old HP laserjet printer (cups wouldn't see it when I switched from 5.9 to 6 or 6 to 7 (can't recall).  I solved problem by printing wireless to the big xerox in the office.  Haven't used the HP in years.
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:41:01 am »

Epson does publish linux drivers for this device. Go to: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX and enter "xp-202" in the search field. There is no Slackware package, you may have to use the generic one and compile the driver.

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 01:58:32 am »

That I have done, taken the rpm package and converted it to tgz and installed the package.  However the details are not added under cups (which it is using a debian based distro).  I can see the files added under opt but no linkage with the list for cups.   As I said all works well under mint. 

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 03:46:09 am »

In that driver package I see the file "Epson-XP-202_203_206_Series-epson-escpr-en.ppd". Does that not get copied to your system so you can point CUPS to it?