VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 12:58:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install downloaded .tar.bz2 files  (Read 1716 times)
Valadar

« on: March 07, 2013, 03:34:37 am »

Hello to all.  Smiley

I am a complete newbie to Vector Linux - Linux in general.

I want to install wxPython-src-2.8.12.1.tar.bz2 but I have no idea how to do so. I come from windows so I am basically just learning by trying new things. I have managed to extract the files and it creates the wxPython-src-2.8.12.1 directory but I have no idea from this point on what to do to install the files further into Vector

I would appreciate anyone's help and suggestion.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 04:07:16 am »

No need to install from scratch. It's in the repository. Fire up gslapt and it will do the work for you.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:45 am »

Like retired1af says, it's not necessary to install from scratch. If, however you decide you want to try anyhow, the first step would be to look what's inside the file (.tar.bz2 is just a zipped archive file, if you extract it you'll get files and directories).

Some programs may be able to look directly inside the file (like Xarchiver which comes with VL7). Or, you could open a terminal/console and unpack it manually. First, change directory to the directory where you downloaded the file to (for instance /home/user/downloads) using the command 'cd'.
Code:
cd /home/user/downloads
Next, unpack the archive as follows
Code:
tar xvf wxPython-src-2.8.12.1.tar.bz2
Usually, there's a README or INSTALL file in there that you can read. I cheated, and googled instead Grin. http://www.wxpython.org/builddoc.php
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:20:44 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:28:07 am »

Use the package manager.  Either use your GSlapt application from the menu, or read up on slapt-get

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:43:29 pm »

Menu/System/Gslapt Package Manager.  Similar to Windows (IE, Start/My Computer/Install Program....or whatever the sequence is in Windows -- I haven't used it since Win95).  See link.  Note:  the video from the link about Gslapt is helpful, but I would not recommend using "testing" as the guy in the video recommends.  Just enable "packages", "extra", and "patches".
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:03:43 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: