VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 05:28:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Toshiba Satellite 1805-S253 Xadventure.  (Read 1336 times)
zman

« on: March 12, 2013, 01:25:19 am »

Hey, forgive me for any informalities, i'm new here. I just wanna make this thread to repay roarde for some of the hours of help he gave me in the IRC room. I was asked to recall some of the technical details involved in getting from point A to point B so i'll try to do that(don't count on much clarity because i'm far from experienced) and whatever I leave out, i'm sure roarde will pick up on.

So, the task at hand was to install the light edition of Vector Linux 7 due to the 128mb of RAM and 850 Mhz Pentium 3 falling somewhat short of what was necessary to install the Standard Edition which I wanted for XFCE(and have now installed onto my light edition installation with roarde's help). Unfortunately after a seemingly perfect installation that I was walked through, X11 wouldn't start and hung whenever I booted into the GUI. To fix this, there was a lot of experimenting with booting into the GUI and then rebooting into the TUI and reading through the log. Thankfully the root of the problem was identified by roarde, which was DDC, and while i'm not in any position to know or say what it is exactly, what it does is change the settings of the 'xorg.conf' file in a way that apparently can cause X11 to hang. To stop this from happening, a line is added to the "Device" section of 'xorg.conf' reading ' Option "NoDDC" '. This solved the problem entirely for me, and i've had no further problems, even when installing XFCE.

Again, I want to say that roarde has been an amazing help to me, and i'm very grateful for it. I hope this experience will help others out with installing this amazing distribution of Linux. I never thought I could've so drastically improved an old laptop from 2000 made to run Windows ME. Also, as something of a disclaimer, I apologize if I got some details or names wrong, like I said, i'm new.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:22:35 pm »

Good work.

Congrats to both you and roarde.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: