VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 12:46:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Delight with VL7  (Read 1185 times)
conductor56

« on: March 17, 2013, 05:11:26 am »

Hello All,

I've previously put a couple of questions in these forums and been pleased to receive prompt and helpful replies.  They have helped me get my first VL7 installed.

I'm delighted with the result.  VL7 has given new life to an old machine and it looks sharp too!  I am trying to help a group that has some aging Windows / MS Office machines.  VL7 might be
the solution for them too.

I have a background in IT, including Unix, but I have no sys. admin. experience so the straightforward, installation was appreciated.  I use bash a lot and I've been able to run my scripts unchanged from their previous Ubuntu home.

(Ubuntu 12 caused me no end of problems with its version of bash.  It didn't handle the translation of variables like $MYVAR the same way it used to and my scripts began to fail!)

Ubuuntu 8,9,10 served me reasonably well and showed those in my family who were skeptical that Linux based desktops (GNOME, Xfce) are every bit as easy to use as Windows.  Sadly, later
versions have been tempremental.

So, to wrap up, I am very pleased to have VL7 and to be here.  I hope I will be able to help others enjoy this top-notch OS when I have a little more experience.

Regards.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:24:16 am »

Always happy to welcome another satisfied user!  Smiley
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:04:13 am »

Howdy and Welcome from Tx.

hata_ph