VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: [solved] printing envelopes in Libre/OpenOffice  (Read 4472 times)

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
[solved] printing envelopes in Libre/OpenOffice
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:57:25 am »

Hello.  I used to be able to print envelopes in OpenOffice.org, but cannot now.  My printer died so I got a new one.  It's a Samsung ML-2165.  I installed the Samsung Unified Linux Driver, version:  Common 4.00.35; Printer 4.00.25 (from UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.01.tar.gz).  In checking the Properties within Printer Setup of OpenOffice.org (note, the same applies to LibreOffice), I only get the following choices for paper size:
Letter
Legal
A4
Executive
US Folio
JIS B5
IOS B5
A5
Oficio

However, when checking the Paper Size option of other applications such as Geany or Firefox, I am given a fuller range of options including #10 envelope.  Does anyone know why this is?  Does anyone know how I can get either OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice to also give these options?

I have OpenOffice.org 3.4.1, and LibreOffice 3.5.6.2 installed.  When installing the Unified Driver, the configurator program that Samsung provided only installed it halfway for some reason.  But, I was able to install it via cups using localhost:631.  So, the printer does work.  I just don't understand why my other programs give more options for paper size than either OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice.

Perhaps I can use Abiword for envelopes, since it does give this paper size option.  Still, I would like to be able to use either OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice instead.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:48:50 am by MarkGrieveson »
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: printing envelopes in Libre/OpenOffice
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:23:58 am »

If I recall, you have to set up the envelope via Insert > Envelope?
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
Re: printing envelopes in Libre/OpenOffice
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:48:27 am »

Tried that.  But the paper size wasn't there.  So, no matter what options I tried, there was no way to select envelope within the paper size.  However, I have solved this anyway.  To print landscape, I needed to change the device from PDF to Postscript.  Then I proceeded to use the envelope formatting options to create an envelope (though it was being created upon US-letter papersize).  Then once aligned I simply fed the envelope in, and it turned out pretty well (ie, on US-letter paper, it would be landscape in the centre, so this worked with the smaller envelope as well.)
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE