VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 01:14:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: new release vl7.1-b0.20 needs testing  (Read 30947 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2013, 12:16:14 am »

OK the same issue with the 64 bit version, grub install hangs - can boot using the cd, most things seem to work will report more when I get to pay with it properly.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2013, 03:48:14 am »

Installed B0.34 (64-bit) this morning. Still getting that god awful Plymouth mess on first reboot. Installer worked well with no issues detected.

Subsequent reboots are fine with the "splash" screen working as designed.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:09:08 am by retired1af » Logged

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2013, 07:45:20 am »

B0.34 64-bit on real hardware (Intel):
First test installed from burned CD.
Second test installed from USB stick made with unetbootin.

On both, install was fine.
First reboot garbage splash but working system.
Second reboot pretty splash but no X. Error messages indicated attempted use of vesa driver and "no screens found".
Edited /boot/grub/grub.conf, removed the "quiet" and "splash" options and got plain text console boot (the way I like it Smiley), then GDM and a working system.

On install from USB stick, edited grub.cfg to point to correct root filesystem. Since SATA drive designations are liable to change when people insert or remove USB sticks, we should use UUID instead of hardcoding /dev/sdxx into grub configuration.

When enabling boot splash, it continues to run on tty1 the whole time. Don't think it should.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2013, 09:27:47 am »

B0.34 32-bit on different hardware, Intel P4 2.8 GHz dual core, on-board i915 video. Installed from burned DVD disc:

Works pretty much as 64-bit on other machine. Had to disable boot splash to get X running.

Different look than 64-bit. This one has square dialog buttons, whereas the other one is rounded and generally looks more polished. On a positive note, this one gives me up/down buttons on the scrollbars, which I like. See screenshot.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:29:31 am by nightflier » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »

Try both B0.33 on virtualbox...below is my finding

1. qtconfig and gkrellm is missng their icon file in the application menu
2. the new installer work but still need some polishing Tongue
3. gdm theme is different on both iso
4. the xfce theme on 32bit is not complete
4. the icons set on 32bit is a bit incomplete. the index.theme on all the icon set need to inherit each others...
5. Dia is not working on both iso with below error

hata_ph:$ dia

(dia:2251): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (DiaInteractiveRendererInterface) to class (DiaGdkRenderer) after class_init

** (dia:2251): CRITICAL **: dia_renderer_set_size: assertion `irenderer != NULL' failed

** (dia:2251): CRITICAL **: dia_renderer_set_size: assertion `irenderer != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault

EDIT: Fix dia with an unconfirm patch from https://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/commit/?id=213bdfe956bf8fe57c86316f68a09408fef1647e. I have build it in the untested repo...maybe someone can test it out
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=694025
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:25:53 am by hata_ph » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 12:49:39 am »

Thankypu nightflier and hata we now have some ammunition to work with.................thanks for the reports.

Cheers,

Vec
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 07:16:22 am »

A little more info: Tried on a third machine; P4 with Radeon RV370 (X300), one sata hdd, one pata cdrom and one sata dvd drive:

+ Got both bootsplash and X to work on this one.  Grin

- Grub would not install, complaining about unusually large core.img and refusing to use blocklists. Used lilo instead. Manual edit of lilo.conf was necessary, replacing uuid references with /dev/sdxx.

Looks like Plymouth is part of the running system itself, not a boot loader function? Either way, no matter how pretty it might be, I would never use it in its current iteration. Attached pictures show why.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 08:27:11 am »

Looks like Plymouth is part of the running system itself, not a boot loader function? Either way, no matter how pretty it might be, I would never use it in its current iteration. Attached pictures show why.

We don't have much of a choice. The old bootsplash method is not longer supported with the newer kernel. I've done some digging around out there, and I didn't find anything stable that can replace Plymouth.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 10:08:14 am »

A little google search indicates that the Plymouthd daemon should be stopped when the login manager is started.

No doubt we will get it to work, it's just a new thing for us.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 08:29:05 pm »

Running on B0.34

1. gkrellm icon is visible on the application menu but qt entry is missing, is that on purpose?
2. gdm theme still different on both iso
3. dia is removed on both iso
4. right click on desktop, the icons for Create Launcher, Create URL Link and Open Terminal Here is missing. Adjust uca.xml to change the icon for Open Terminal Here but I have no idea how to do that for Create Launcher, Create URL Link
5. desktop and icons theme still need some work

EDIT: It seem the problem of missing icon is due to out-dated faenza icons set that come with the VL_Themes package. I have build latest faenza-icon-theme, faenza-xfce and faenza-cupertino in the untested repo and by installing it solve the missing xfce icon. Maybe VL 7.1 should use it and remove the old faenza icon from the VL_Themes?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:31:57 am by hata_ph » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:46 am »

Now for some good news:  Grin  B0.34 64-bit on AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+ / ATI X1200 video / 3G RAM:

Flawless install.
Second boot showed Plymouth splash, but it starts so fast you only see it for a second or so.
All hardware working.
Both processors are showing up.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2013, 04:31:59 pm »

More ammo for you Vector:  Tongue

New kernels and boot procedures complicates more things.
Using this kind of line does NOT work with LILO:
Code:
root = uuid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some info here: http://nil-techno.blogspot.com/2012/01/using-lilo-to-boot-disks-by-uuid.html

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:35 am »

More ammo for you Vector:  Tongue

New kernels and boot procedures complicates more things.
Using this kind of line does NOT work with LILO:
Code:
root = uuid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some info here: http://nil-techno.blogspot.com/2012/01/using-lilo-to-boot-disks-by-uuid.html

Good find....
But I wonder how close to this setup we already are, since we do use a initrd by default

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 10:38:34 pm »

B0-34 32-bit

DVD install. Gui Installer run to the end Setting Passwords and remained there.
Got out with Quit and reboot.

Booted into it twice each time no mouse nor keyboard. On first boot
lots of garbage scrollig along. Not anyore on second boot.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2013, 01:28:54 am »

Update cups, cups-filters and foomatic-filters to fix the libdir issue in 64bit...
I also rebuild foomatic-db-engine due to it invalid format of packages name...
update hplip to version 3.15.3 to fix issue printing with hp printer due to the old version of foomatic-rip-hplip (maybe someone should review the changes i did to the slackbuild)
https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vabs/commits/a4af8d0cbcc21d71e6926ae1224f49a3101b0e25
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/hplip
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/pdfasstandardprintjobformat#How_to_switch_a_system_to_use_PDF_as_standard_print_job_format
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: