VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: new release vl7.1-b0.20 needs testing  (Read 38709 times)

Pita

• Vectorian
Re: new release vl7.1-b0.20 needs testing
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »

On booting 2 penguins show at top of screen indicating that dual core
processor is accessed. However, when loged-in only one CPU is working
as shown with htop and gkrellm.

For a quick workaround until a fix filters down from kernel.org, you can add this to the end of rc.local:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/online

Thanks! Works.  ;D

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2013, 07:58:12 pm »

Well,  I finally decided to give the latest 7.1 version (Sept 2 or 4, ver 44, I think) a try, on my backup laptop, a lenovo N586.

It had 7.0 on it, with the hard drive divided into three partitions, a swap, / and /home.  So I didn't use automatic.  Rather I installed 7.1 in /.  It installed just fine and recognized all the files on my home drive.  The installer is very easy to use.

A couple of comments.

I think that the user's attention following first install should somehow or another be directed to a page which explains how to add sound and configure the wireless card. The wired connection worked just fine but I occasionally need wireless.  I have no sound and probably have to download some drivers.  I see no sound icon and when I click on panel, there is no default sound icon. 

And though I note that the touchpad seems to work a lot better than in 7.0, I think the user's attention should also be directed to ways of turning off (and on) the touchpad. 

I no longer have a "suspend" option when logging out.  I use suspend constantly on my main (Samsung) laptop, where, in 7.0, it works great.

For some reason youtube videos on firefox go blank (snowy screen) a few seconds after they start.  Says "an error occurred."  I tried to load chromium from slackbuilds.org, but it didn't work. I think I will need google chromium. 

Finally, though lyx is in the repositories, it needs texlive or at least tetex.  7.0 repository only  has tetex, I believe, so I will have to do in 7.1 as I did in 7.0 and download texlive from the website. 

All in all 7.1 seems very stable.  I gather it uses 64 rather than 32 whatever programs, so I will have a bit of a learning curve there.

GOOD WORK!

John
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
« Reply #242 on: September 16, 2013, 07:29:25 am »

thats a known kernel bug.
I'd be interested in a link for that if you have one, Google hasn't helped me out this time... ::)
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #243 on: September 16, 2013, 08:29:38 am »

thats a known kernel bug.
I'd be interested in a link for that if you have one, Google hasn't helped me out this time... ::)

I guess I could have phrased this better.  I meant known to us.  Several of us have been seeing that for a while on our installs.  Seems related to hotplugging from what I can gather from googling "CPU0 is now offline", and the reports of people seeing that date back quite a while

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
« Reply #244 on: September 16, 2013, 12:21:14 pm »

I see... :)
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]