VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 06:33:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Realsoft 3D for Linux  (Read 1786 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: April 14, 2013, 10:32:58 am »

Hey guys,
               I ran across this app' which seems like a very nice and powerful tool which I would like to be able to have in a package for VL-7.0 and 7.1 if possible. I can't find anything specific on their licensing while thrifting through the web site, plus I am short on some time here to dig for it. I suspect there might be limits , if you look at the price tag.
 As far as I can tell, the requirements for installation is Motiff  (OpenMotif), ffmpeg, and freetype fonts, besides the obvious opengl and such.

On the download page you will need to enter an email address, and the link to the downloads will be sent to you. I will include the link they sent me, below, if it works for you.

The web site:
http://www.realsoft.com/
  Here I click on the "PRODUCT INFO" icon from the list on the left side. Then in the list I click on "LINUX VERSION" text.

Link from email:
http://www.realsoft.com/cgi-bin/download/products?id=767504
  Hope this link works for you, this is here only to save you from entering your email, all of the downloads are there.
   There is also chronoR3D, might as well get that too.
I am going to attempt installation via the .sh file. However, if someone is willing to take this on for a package, I will be able to test the 64bit version.

P.S.
      Check out the Image Gallery link, there are animations as well.
  Also, the reason I did not put this in the "package request" section of the forum, is because we might be limited to just making a "private package" ;-)

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 04:21:33 pm »

It's not licensed under GNU or any other of the free licensing franchises. Costs 100 Euro.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 05:06:31 pm »

OK,
       I could not find licensing there on the web site. Though it does have a "license agreement" during it's gui installation setup. That pretty much just claims it is copyrighted, but doesn't even specify on that either. I entered in the DEMO "key code" and finished gui installation, well, sort of. The darned thing errored with lame output, then finishes with "installation completed". You get menu icons in the menu, and when you click on them you get nothing. Running the app from terminal only says "...executable-name... it's notfound..." so you get a WTF moment there too, lol. However...
   the uninstall function works, but you'll have to manually remove some leftover directories and their sub files.

I really only wanted a package built so I could use the Demo version of it and be more creative for VL artwork. Since the installation is quirky, the uninstallation is also unclean, the executable you execute says that itself is not there, I won't push any further for a package. Not worth the headaches, let alone the costs for a key. I should have ran through this part before asking someone else to attempt a package.

This is all really just too bad. It seemed almost what I was looking for in a Linux native app that wasn't so complex as Blender.  I may check back on the app in another few years. In the meantime, I'll check out MakeHuman ( http://www.makehuman.org/ ). I hope to have better luck with that since it is Open Source, and licensed under the CC0 license.

Thanks for checking it to it anyway. Perhaps a make human package could be in order instead? :-)
Cheers,
            Masta

altscribe

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:39:24 pm »

It's not licensed under GNU or any other of the free licensing franchises. Costs 100 Euro.

Usually a bad sign.  Especially when the demo is broken...

altscribe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: