VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 09:30:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: installation problem  (Read 2950 times)
redd

« on: April 22, 2013, 03:50:11 pm »

Hi,

I am a nub with Linux and I am trying to install it on a virtual machine. I got this error. This application has ralsed an unexpected error and must abort. [-1] Bad Row Index step 6.?.0.

Thanks for the help.

redd  Smiley
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:06 pm »

what vm you are using?
what version of VL you are installing?
redd

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:18:49 am »

I am using Oracle VM Version 4.2.12
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:09:59 pm »

you should give more detail about your problem...
I am currently using virtualbox with VL7 as guest...no problem so far...
redd

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:20:43 pm »

My pc is running Vista and I test or try new OS with VM. What I wrote in the post above is the error it is telling me. This application has  an unexpected error and must abort. [-1] Bad Row Index step 6.?.0. Could it be the VL is corrupt? Should I re download it and try again? Maybe I am not doing something right.

Again thanks for your help.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 04:42:51 pm »

the error prompt up from virtualbox itself or during VL installation?
redd

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 04:49:40 pm »

During install.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:44:24 pm »

I have no such problem...maybe try asking in the virtualbox forum...
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 09:52:36 am »

Looks like a problem with the installation itself... from gambas.  Check the MD5sum of the downloaded ISO

redd

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »

Ok, quick question. How do we do that? I am a noob. Thank you for your patients.  Smiley
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 04:59:01 am »

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/LQ_ISO/Checking_the_md5sum_in_Windows   lists a few answers for checking md5sum under Windows. (We should adopt one of the methods and post it in a conspicuous place).

Also, the files are tightly compressed. Having less than 128MB RAM in your VM guarantees "file corruption" type errors. 256MB should ensure correct decompression.

The correct md5sum should be posted next to the download. If it's not there, please let us know exactly which version of VL you have there.

Later:
Did a quick test of Microsoft's "fciv" checksum utility under Vista. Works, here's a download link. Known to work under XP (client or server). Probably works with 7 or 8, but I'll wait 'til I see it tested there.

Right-click the download and run as Administrator. I chose C:\Windows\System32 for extraction -- despite other instructions -- and as I said, it worked. Runs from command line (CMD). 'fciv <filename>' gives you md5sum, see 'fciv /?' for more options.

Never thought I'd consider EULA "nostalgic".

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:56:40 am by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
redd

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 02:17:22 pm »

I am using VL 7.0 Standard Edition Gold. I adjusted the memory like you said above. I used 1024MB to see if that helped. Cause I was using less. Default was 512MB. Still same error. I am running Windows Vista, 4GIG RAM, Quad core. 2.8 Gig. Using Virtual box VM Ver. 4.2.12. I have install other linux OS on my VM and had no problems. This is a first. Hope this helps.

Thanks again.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 05:24:11 am »

The default 512MB of your VM is plenty, especially if you're configuring swap during install. I'd revert to it to save memory for running Windows programs.

Please check the md5sum. Use one of the utilities from the linuxquestions link above, or fciv. You should get
f3cf3a7a352bb36757c2e21499762d73            (This really should be conspicuously posted next to any download link, but often isn't)
The directory http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/  contains the ISO (.iso) and its md5sum (.iso.md5.txt).
It's good to have a file checksum utility, as it would apply to nearly any distro you download; they "all" have an md5sum, or maybe an SHA256/512 sum. If it doesn't match, download the ISO again.

It probably matches. In that case, be sure that the virtual HD you're installing to has at least 8G, and that the part mounted as "/" (root) is allotted at least 4G of that. If other distros are installing, you probably already have this, too.

That leaves a problem with the ISO or installer itself. You'll get plenty of help here with that, but it can be more than you bargained for. Depends on how interested you are in VL in particular, running on a VM.

That's where I should leave you, as I'm running a different (Light) version of VL, and don't usuallly use VM's. Many do, though, and you'll get replies if you want to go on and post how much disk space you're allotting and whether the md5sum is correct.

In any case, thank you very much for the feedback so far.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:29:22 am by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
redd

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 06:17:17 pm »

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it. I have Linux installed on another PC. Runs well. I do some gaming online and I well use Windows. I know I can dual boot the 2 side by side. I think I am just afraid the take the leap. But I am look for a laptop and I am DEFIANTLY installing Linux on it. There is a lot of choices and flavors for Linux which is such a plus. So again thank you for your time.

Redd  Grin

P.S. I will try what you wrote in your last post.
redd

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 12:03:32 pm »

I tried the checksum and I get the same as you said f3cf3a7a352bb36757c2e21499762d73. I re-downloaded and I am going to try and install. Let you know how it comes out.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: