VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:20:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 7.0 live passwords  (Read 1318 times)
pm0792

« on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:36 pm »

Last night (UK time) I tried the live version of VL .  As soon as I tried to make any changes, I was asked for the root password.  Googling around offered the suggestions of 'root', 'guest', 'vector', but none of these worked.  So I'm stuck, and without being able to fully try out the distro I won't know if I want to install it.

It does seem a bit perverse to offer a live cd without making the password available!

Does anyone have any suggestions, both for the user and root passwords, or should I look elsewhere for my next distro?

Cheers

Peter
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:56:53 am »

For VL7.0-Live, the root password is blank.  (Just press Enter.)

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
pm0792

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 04:00:34 am »

Thanks for this reply.  I thought I'd tried that as well, but cannot swear to it. I'm currently at work so I'll try it tonight once I get home.

Peter

pm0792

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:37:55 am »

Well I tried it, and it worked for mounting the existing filesestem, and then for running a command line with root privileges.  Next I loaded truecrypt from a script, but when I tried to mount an existing volume, I was greeted by a dialog asking

'Enter you user password or administrator'.

This did not accept a null entry, responding with the message

Failed to obtain administrator privileges: Sorry, user vl is not allowed to execute '/usr/bin/truecrypt --core-service' as root on vector.live.lan.

This is a total showstopper for me.  Any suggestions?

Peter
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:25:31 pm »

set a password for root by running "passwd" as root
pm0792

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:40:59 am »

It’s been some time since I posed this question – time spent on other, non computing, activities.  But I have now had another try at configuring Vector, and thanks to suggestions here I was able to get truecrypt installed and working.

But – and please don’t take this as being antagonistic – I have come to the conclusion that Vector is not for me. My reasons are:-

1.   For a distro which claims to be lightweight, there are a great many packages installed by default which I do not need and would prefer not to have the bother of removing – never sure if I’ve removed everything, or that I have not inadvertently removed something crucial.
2.   The screen seems very cluttered.  The worst offender is the cairo-dock, which takes up valuable screen space, is very distracting and which I was totally unable to remove (in the live version)
3.   Installation requires a level of technical knowledge way beyond that which I possess (eg manual partitioning of disks), and also beyond that required by other distros such as PCLinuxOS or Mint.
4.   The MakeLiveCD option (which was the main attraction for me – I am looking to be able to make a live CD of my current installation) did not work. Although it finished up with a dialog telling me to look in the /tmp directory, there was no .iso file there and the log terminated with a FAILED message.  I was using the live CD – maybe it needs the installed version but as described above that was a problem.

My ideal distro would be:-

1.   Lightweight, such that the .iso file can be accommodated on a CD, not a DVD
2.   Have a live version to allow trial usage
3.   Have an uncluttered screen devoid of all eye-candy.
4.   Have an installation mechanism which guides the user through the process without assuming a high level of expertise.
5.   Allow the user to select packages at install time rather than installing a raft of common packages, which may not be appropriate for an individual user. (I realise that this may conflict with 4 above, but there could be an option to install a ‘typical’ set of packages)
6.   Have access to a package repository for subsequent amendment
7.   Have a package available to make a live cd of the current installation.

Vector scored on 1,2 and 6, but fell short on 3,4,5 and maybe 7. I’m still looking!

Best wishes

Peter

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 06:53:26 am »

Thanks for taking your time to write this.
Some of the issues are already being worked on for the next release (hopefuly you will give it a try.)

Good luck!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: