VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 06:01:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VPackager help please.  (Read 1899 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: May 02, 2013, 12:23:03 pm »

How do I use VPackager to create a ".tgz" file from a ".tar.gz" file?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:23:35 pm »

see the project documentation here https://bitbucket.org/m0e_lnx/vpackager/wiki/how

Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:49:22 am »

And the end result in the terminal box was:

Extracting source...
tar: /tmp/vpackager/avidemux/2.6.3/src/avidemux-2.6.3.tar.*: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

*** No more jobs in queue. Stopping bot ***
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 10:35:15 am »

tar.gz means it's an archive file. You can not take an archive file and do anything with it until you unpack the contents.

From terminal - man tar

Once you have the source files, THEN you can make a package.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:49 am »

Unfortunately, the instructions didn't make that point clear, nor do they mate it clear what to do after that either (I'm still rather new at all of this, so please try to be patient with me).
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 04:25:13 am »

Looks like avidemux is not a simple build -- but take heart!
Looking at the src directory for the old version's build should be a lot of help:
http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/source/testing/xap/avidemux/2.5.6/

Pay particular attention to src/avidemux.SlackBuild and src/patches .

That build started with sbbuilder; don't know why you couldn't start with vpackager if you prefer. Either way, the files from the previous build contain info that was added or changed after sbbuilder was run.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 10:12:44 am »

Looks like avidemux is not a simple build -- but take heart!
Looking at the src directory for the old version's build should be a lot of help:
http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/source/testing/xap/avidemux/2.5.6/

Pay particular attention to src/avidemux.SlackBuild and src/patches .

That build started with sbbuilder; don't know why you couldn't start with vpackager if you prefer. Either way, the files from the previous build contain info that was added or changed after sbbuilder was run.

So what am I supposed to be looking for in those patches, and what am I supposed to do about it once I find whatever it is I need to be looking for? Like I said before, I'm new at this, so please be patient with me.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 02:47:32 pm »

On second thought, where can I find a tutorial that explains (in layman's terms, if possible) how to install software to Vector Linux7.0 from a ".tar.gz" file?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 09:48:56 pm »

If the extension is ".tar.gz", it's probably not configured to work correctly for VL, even after it's extracted. It's pretty much a guarantee that it's a bad idea to try to install it as if it were a package.

You're asking questions that, in a general way, the forum has tried to address publicly for longer than most of us have been around -- much longer than I have, certainly. Thanks for bringing this up where it can be seen. Just letting you know it might be a long ride.

You're trying to get an updated avidemux package, right? What might work (I'd give it a 40% chance) is to download the complete directory I linked above. Change all references to the old version to the new version. This should mean changing the directory names that include the version number to the new one, and editing avidemux.SlackBuild to the new version, build #1, you're the packager, a good URL for the source, and so on. Also, find and delete the file "slack-depends" (I think the slackbuild contains info to regenerate this, not looking at it right now). Then cd   <path-to-files>/avidemux/<version>/src, Become root, and do:  sh avidemux.SlackBuild

To be a proper package, the above would have to be built on a clean buildbase and some other minor changes would have to be made. But knowing whether it works on the system you have, or what errors are generated could be a good head start.

The above could be too much for you; it usually is too much for me. In that case, where did you get the .tar.gz file you mentioned?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:27:50 pm »

I got it from here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/avidemux/avidemux_2.6.4.tar.gz.

So what do you suggest? Or even better yet, how do I get Vector Linux 7.0 to install it? Oh - and by the way - when I use vpackager, it only allows me to select compressed files.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:10:50 pm by Locator » Logged
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 04:38:04 pm »

VL-7.0 stable repositories have avidemux 2.5.6-i586-3vl70 and the testing repositories have 2.6.1-i586-1vl70 available.  So, my suggestion would be to install one of these with Gslapt, and forget about trying to use vpackager to convert the 2.6.4 source.  Sometimes vpackager works, and sometimes it doesn't, especially on big programs like avidemux.

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: