VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Terminal help please.  (Read 1221 times)

Locator

• Vectorian
Terminal help please.
« on: May 07, 2013, 12:22:37 pm »

Where can I find documentation that explains the different commands available in terminal mode?

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: Terminal help please.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »

If your shell is bash, then this will get you started.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

Bigpaws

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:09:18 pm »

"man bash"  will get you started. In there, you'll see a section entitled "SHELL BUILTIN COMMANDS". Help for commands listed in this section can also be had without opening the manual page, just do "help <command>", but of course you'd have to know the name of the command first.

All of which is not all that helpful, so I looked further online.  I just happened to guess an effective search term right out of the box: Guide to Linux command line.

The first result from the search site I use actually is fairly helpful:
http://www.linuxguide.it/command_line/linux_command_line-c1_en.html
Be sure to check the pulldown-menu at the top of the list for subjects. Also, on the left side, very near the top, there's a link to download an offline copy.

That's enough for a start. And no one ever finishes :D
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:29:30 am »

Thank you, although I was HOPING to get information for the MODPROBE command (in order to get my TVtuner card to function correctly (unfortunately I lost all the information that I had on it).

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:25:15 am »

Code: [Select]
modprobe -h
Code: [Select]
man modprobe
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:59:07 am »

Thank you, but please forgive me for not being as specific as I should have been (I incorrectly assumed that you would know what information I was referring to), but I was referring to a list that someone on this website has provided that contained a list of codes for TV tuner cards. But I do appreciate the help that I have received so far.

Thank you.