VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 06:57:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hexchat for VL 7.0 and subsequent  (Read 3175 times)
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« on: May 08, 2013, 03:57:31 pm »

Our current xchat2 package has problems that prevent it from loading many or most perl and python scripts.

To me, it makes more sense to package the actively-maintained hexchat than to fix xchat. May even want to put xchat* in "conflicts" so we won't be annoyed further by what xchat won't do.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:02:37 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »

roarde,

pls try hexchat-2.9.5 from

http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.0/x86/
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.0/x86_64/
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 07:21:48 pm »

Tried the 32-bit, and I'm definitely keeping it. Thanks, hata!

Menu entry for icewm updated fine, SASL is super-easy (that's what brought the request), the look is improved (cleaner) over xchat2, and I do believe it runs faster.

On setting up freenode, I chose the 6667/-+ option. I didn't know that was SSL. As I don't have certificates set up, this was a problem. Was very easy to go back, select the "plain" version and connect. Since everything else was so easy, I'm encouraged to set up the secure version properly when I have time.

My suggestion to force replacement of xchat was a bad one; thanks for silently overlooking it. As you've included a SlackBuild, getting hexchat to grab relevant xchat settings in doinstall or firstrun probably won't be hard. I'll look into that myself later on.

Thanks again.

Notes:
The highlight colors (channel action, channel message, channel message directed to you) for the channel switcher are different than xchat. It's confusing right now, but I think the "new" ones make more sense once I get used to them.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:29:51 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:04:44 pm »

thanks for testing it...if u got any suggestion on how to improve hexchat...let me know...maybe i can mix it in the slackbuild Smiley
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:47:08 pm »

Doesn't need changes Smiley

Tested to see whether it handles perl and python scripts correctly: it does.

In setting it up to my liking, I changed almost every setting away from default, just like I do with xchat. Handled it flawlessly, with a couple of things noticeably improved over 2.8.8.

My vote is it's time to move this at least into testing when it can be done. And whoever decides such really should consider removing 2.8.8 from the 7.1 repo and replacing it with hexchat before release. This from a dedicated xchat user. It's exactly the same, except for where it works smoother, adds a truly needed small feature, or fixes a bug.

EDIT: As noted below, the following is a bad idea.
Later:
As a test, backed up ~/.config/hexchat and removed the files, then recursively copied the contents of ~/.xchat2 there. Though it didn't keep my preferences, it did keep my servers and channels, my nick, my passwords, even the scrollbacks, and connected automatically to freenode, just as xchat was set to do. Had no problem manually setting up the preferences.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:23:36 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 03:04:53 am »

Much to my absolute delight (I'm being EXTREMELY facetious here), this got put into the 7.1 build. Copying the .xchat configuration files (sound, ignore lists, etc.) didn't appear to do much of anything other than aggravate the bejeebers out of me.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 04:09:45 pm »

I ran out of time to post back. See if doing it again and renaming "xchat.conf" to "hexchat.conf" before running helps.

If you say no, I'd agree it's time to drop the idea of picking up the old config, at least until someone has time to really study it. By then it'll probably be moot, anyway.

EDIT:  Tried a few different ways of getting more advanced settings and scripts to transfer from xchat to hexchat. While I'm sure it's possible, it's not worth the required effort. Several items that were in external scripts in xchat have moved to the C-source in hexchat. Starting fresh is easier than trying to transfer settings, et al.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:19:46 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 03:16:05 pm »

Hexchat has disappeared from both of the "untested" links above, and has not yet landed in the 7.0 repos.

I was setting up another machine and needed it, so I grabbed the SlackBuild from vabs' 7.0 branch and built locally. No adjustments, no problems, runs fine.

How does this get into the 7.0 repos somewhere?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:21:36 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 04:00:28 pm »

I do believe after 2 weeks, if it hasn't been moved, the system automatically kills it. If hata_ph would be so kind as to upload it to untested again, we'll make sure it gets moved to the proper spot.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »

OK, I triggered another build. Hexchat for 7.0 is once again temporarily available under the directories listed by hata_ph.

While this build should be identical, I'm not testing it because I want to leave my hexchat install as-is. If someone does test it, feedback here would be appreciated

EDIT:
Changed my mind. A package should keep a user's settings, right? So I reinstalled from the new build. Keeps settings as it should, and runs fine  Smiley

Could use more testing/feedback, tho.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:48:47 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 11:52:51 pm »

hexchat-2.9.5 should be in the 7.0 testing repo now
Pages: [1]
  Print