VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 01:12:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ SOLVED ] IVTV driver assistance please.  (Read 7002 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 05:44:22 pm »

What do you suggest that I use besides tvtime (and mythtv for that matter)?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:24:39 pm by Locator » Logged
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 06:42:35 pm »

From 3.0.8 kernel documentation "README.ivtv":
NOTE: 'normal' TV applications do not work with this driver, you need
an application that can handle MPEG input such as mplayer, xine, MythTV,
etc.

And as I said, VLC is reported to work.

DO COPY the firmware files over to /lib/firmware/ .  I've done more reading, and they belong there.

I have just a little bit of other info, not much. You can try to catch me in IRC if you like:  irc://irc.freenode.net#vectorlinux

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC3.1, icewmvmods
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 08:19:10 pm »

I copied the firmware over to /lib/firmware/, and I STILL can't get any TV channels. And while I'm on the subject, how do I watch tv chanels with UMPlayer?
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 03:49:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure that you should not compile and install the drivers. If you have the ones I think you do, they are older than what's already in the kernel.

What version of ivtv is in the kernel? I ask that now because I found a program on the internet called "tv-viewer" that, as I understand it, will allow me to view/record TV programs, but when I went to compile it, I got an error message saying that it couldn't find something called 'ivtv-tune'. Any ideas on how to resolve that issue?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 06:44:19 pm »

There are utilities in the same package with the driver code in the utils/ directory. Ivtv-tune is one of them. Those utils will have to be built and installed. I don't know whether using the utils from the older package will be a problem when used with the newer drivers in the kernel.

So you're back to trying to get some kind of compile, but not the whole thing. Which leaves your compiling question both important and unresolved.

Which bugged me. So instead of posting, then editing later, I did more search. Turned up http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/archive/1.4.x/ivtv-utils-1.4.0.tar.gz.
Grab it. It has the same compression problem as the firmware tarball, so decompress it the same way (i.e. instructions in previous post). I ran make and had no problems (except for "Warning"s which can be safely ignored). I didn't do make install; it will probably put them in /usr/local/bin which is correct for a local, your-machine-only build.

By the time 1.4.0 was created, all the drivers were in the kernel, so they were left out of the package, which is exactly what you want. Because there are no drivers/modules, you should do 1,2,3, and 4 on your "Config needed" list and skip the rest.

Good luck, please let us know how it turns out.

P.S. -- Would be interested to know where you found tv-viewer files. The repos I looked at for it had no files.

Robert
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:33 pm »

I found "tv-viewer" at the following address:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tv-viewer/
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 06:19:51 am »

Thanks for the info. Looks like the kind of smaller, simpler solution that's fitting for VL. Nice find, hope it works.

If you have problems building it, I suggest keeping discussion in this thread. It's a good place to attract the attention of others who might be dealing with this or similar cards.

Robert
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 07:41:55 am »

How do I know if ivtv-tune is functional or not? Yes...it's in the location where you said it would be, but when I tried to install tv-viewer, it wouldn't install (I started by using the "$ ./confogure.tcl" command as per instructions), and according to the log file for it ivtv-tune failed. Any suggestions?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 07:16:51 pm »

ivtv-tune -V    should print its version.
ivtv-tune -l     should list channels and frequencies
man ivtv-tune   should show the manual page

It's possible that the first and third commands will work, while the second fails. That would be due to incorrect (for VL) placement of some data files. Getting them placed correctly would require further head-scratching.

Please do
ls -l $(which ivtv-tune|| echo ivtv-tune)
and post all of the output.

I won't be available for several days at a time. If someone sees something they can pick up, please do.

Robert
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 03:19:59 pm »

It turns out that after I did my last post, I had to turn my computer off (for reasons which escape me at the moment), but after I turned it back on , I come to find out that the issue regarding iviv-tune had resolved itself, and it now seems to be functioning correctly. In the meantime, however, another question has presented itself for which I am hoping that you, or someone else can help me with - according to the documentation for 'tv-viewer', it can be installed with a "tclkit" option, which, as I understand it, provides  more options or functionality with it. My question is this - According to "tv-viewer", what type of "tclkit" file do I need?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 05:54:10 pm »

I'd read that the card keeps settings on warm reboot, but resets and is ready to reconfigure on cold boot.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tkimg/ , but I have to wonder whether packaging tcl/tk 8.6 wouldn't be a better idea. The existing SlackBuilds ( 1 for tcl, another for tk) might work for 8.6. It's a fairly commonly used toolkit, and you want it working correctly.

Robert
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 07:34:15 pm »

root:# ./configure.tcl --enable-tclkit=yes

Configuring build environment for TV-Viewer 0.8.2b1 Build 177

checking dependencies

Tk *** OK
ivtv-tune *** OK
v4l2-ctl *** OK
mplayer *** OK
xdg-email *** OK
xdg-open *** OK
xdg-screensaver *** OK

checking for optional dependencies

irexec *** FAILED

could not detect lirc
you won't be able to use a remote control

tkimg *** FAILED

could not detect tkimg (libtk-img)
no support for high resolution PNG icons

no tclkit detected, file needs to be in
/home/doctor/tv-viewer-0.8.2b1/extensions/tclkit

And having posted the result, what file or files do I put in that sub directory?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:41:31 pm by Locator » Logged
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 11:18:50 am »

Never mind - I FINALLY got it all to working correctly Smiley !!!!!!!!!!
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 04:33:53 pm »

That's great news!

Was about to look again at README's, but decided to check the forum first.

Did you put tclkit where it belonged, or did you discover it wasn't needed and omit "--enable-tclkit=yes"?

And I know you have shows to watch, but would you mind putting up a quick, concise review of TV-Viewer? Does it do what you want? What does it lack?

Congratulations on a good build.

Robert
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 12:00:04 pm »

Actually, I did post a review of sorts for it at the following link -

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=17700.msg97445#msg97445

and yes, it does everything I want and/or need it to do, and as of right now it lacks nothing. incidentally, I found that it does work somewhat better with tclkit than without it (although according to the "readme" file, it's an optional feature, not an absolute necessity). I turns out that there is hardly any building required on my part, all I had to do (as "root", of course) was follow the instructions for running "configure.tcl" and "install.tcl".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:09:21 pm by Locator » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: