VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 06:29:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux (Light 7) on GPT Drive (Multi-OS) Problem [RESOLVED]  (Read 2918 times)
Rytz

« on: May 10, 2013, 09:00:12 pm »

Hi:

Trying to install VL Light 7 on a GPT drive that has OSX and Windows installed and working.  All partitions are already sized correctly (including linux).

When I run the installer from CD for VLL7, fdisk doesn't support GPT.

I go to command line and use parted, which see's all my partitions.  I do mkfs to make my linux partitions ext2 and linux-swap.  All partitions look correct in parted.

After all partitions are configured, I go back to setup and select partitions for the install but I get "No Linux partition found.  Back to square one...".  The setup still does not see the linux partitions, even though they show up in parted.

Any thoughts?  Is this possible with VLL7 or any versions of Vector Linux?  Seems like it should work.  Do I need to do anything special with /etc/fstab or mounting?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 12:22:14 pm by Rytz » Logged

~ Rytz
Rytz

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 11:06:28 pm »

I just used Paragon ExtFS (in OSX) to format the linux and swap partitions as Ext2 and when I run VLL7 setup from CD, cfdisk sees all partitions except the Ext2.  Any reason why that would be?

From the way the cfdisk presents options for the partitions, it would let me modify OSX partitions and event NTFS but it can't see Ext2?

Help! Smiley

~ Rytz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 03:27:23 am »

Not that familiar with Macs, but believe you need something like the rEFIt boot manager to get around their EFI implentation.
Rytz

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:23:48 am »

Not that familiar with Macs, but believe you need something like the rEFIt boot manager to get around their EFI implentation.
Hi nightflier - I'm actually working with a hackintosh (Gateway m685-E).  I previously had dual boot up and running with OSX and Ubuntu but I think I did a MBR hack instead of using GPT (mac won't normally boot from MBR).

I'm working with Vector Linux Standard Gold 7 and having slightly more success.  Having issues getting LILO installed (I install VL and ask for me to choose a bootloader at the end).   GRUB won't work for me because it only lets me attempt to install to MBR (which doesn't exist for me) and LILO always does nothing when I select "bootsector" method and click next.  The window just freezes.  VL itself gets installed but can't install a bootloader.  I'm going to have to try and manually install a bootloader (using option "none").

I'll post my results if I can get this figured out.

As of right now, it seems the issue is that VL Light doesn't properly support GPT in order to run the setup against it.  Parted can be used to create the partitions but VL light setup never sees them.

Even in VL Standard Gold there are some qwerks.  If I try to do any gparted modifications to the partitions, the VL setup will never the ext2 / swap partitions - even if I just launch gparted and then quit.  If I launch setup and select "use existing partitions without running gparted", the setup sees my ext2 partition and I can do the installation.  Strange Smiley
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:28:12 am by Rytz » Logged

~ Rytz
Rytz

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 12:22:02 pm »

Ok I'm finally triple booting OSX Lion 10.7.4, Win7, and VectorLinux Standard Gold 7 on my Gateway m685-e (32-bit) with a single GPT-style drive booting from Chameleon.  Had to install VLSG7 without a bootloader and install grub manually.

VLSG7 is a bit finicky on the install.  If gparted is run, it requires a reboot for setup to see any partitions (regardless of changes).  Also the VLSG7 grub bootloader install menu only allows for MBR install, even though I have a GPT drive.  LILO gives the option for a "bootsector" install instead of MBR, but when I trying to use LILO and hit the next button, nothing happens.  The window freezes up.  Trying to use an MBR-style install on a GPT drive obviously isn't going to work.  Only option is to install grub manually later and choose no bootloaders in the VLSG7 setup.

When booting into VLSG7 setup, select the option to "use existing drive partitions".  Install on the desired partition.  When finished and configuring, do not install a bootloader.  Allow system to reboot to VLSG7 install CD again.

Boot into the new linux partition with VLSG7 CD.  Run command at first prompt:
Code:
linux root=/dev/sda5
"sda5" being whatever partition linux was installed to.  Ignore the read-only warnings.

Boot into the system a couple times this way until user/install configuration is complete.

When user/install configurations are complete, jump to console as root and install grub:
Code:
grub-install --force /dev/sda5

Generate grub config:
Code:
grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg

This should get grub correctly installed and when selecting the linux OS from Chameleon, grub should boot and show the operating systems and boot correctly.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If any changes are made to partitions (naming / labeling, new partitions, resizing, etc), windows will almost assuredly report bootsector problems.  

If changes don't involve the partitions layout, I've found that running OSX DiskUtility's "Repair Disk" under first aid will fix the problem.  If the disk partition layout has changed, extra steps might be needed.  An example would be resizing the OSX partition and adding a new partition that is not at the end of the partition list (causing other partitions to have a different location in the partition table).  This would definitely cause problems.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:38:21 pm by Rytz » Logged

~ Rytz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 03:50:29 pm »

Nice work, and thank you for sharing your experiences with us.
I'm sure others can benefit from what you posted.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: