VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 09:54:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recognizing PCMCIA Cards  (Read 1603 times)
Dave

« on: May 14, 2013, 06:05:25 am »

Upon installing VL 7 Light on my circa 1999 laptop, no adapter card was recognized, or even powered, when plugged into the laptop's single PCMCIA port.  However, port and cards worked with VL 6 Light Live on the same computer.  A comparison of dmesg outputs from both distros indicated that VL 7 Light had disabled ACPI support, while ACPI was needed in VL 6 Light Live to enable the PCMCIA cards.

The problem was corrected in VL 7 Light by adding acpi=force to each of the 'append' statements in /etc/lilo.conf, then issuing the command '/sbin/lilo -v' to commit the changes to the LILO bootloader, and finally rebooting.

If you're using GRUB, the following ought to do it (but I haven't tested it...): add acpi=force to the 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX' statement(s) in /etc/default/grub, then issue the command 'update-grub' to commit the changes to the GRUB bootloader, and finally reboot.

Of course, all of the above needs to be done from root.

Hope this helps somebody out there in VL-land!

For a bit more detail on the cause and solution, see http://techsquirrels.blogspot.com/2013/05/getting-vector-linux-to-recognize.html.
AlonzeConner

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:21:03 pm »

Upon installing VL 7 Light on my circa 1999 laptop, no adapter card was recognized, or even powered, when plugged into the laptop's single PCMCIA port.  However, port and cards worked with VL 6 Light Live on the same computer.  A comparison of dmesg outputs from both distros indicated that VL 7 Light had disabled ACPI support, while ACPI was needed in VL 6 Light Live to enable the PCMCIA cards.

The problem was corrected in VL 7 Light by adding acpi=force to each of the 'append' statements in /etc/lilo.conf, then issuing the command '/sbin/lilo -v' to commit the changes to the LILO bootloader, and finally rebooting.

If you're using GRUB, the following ought to do it (but I haven't tested it...): add acpi=force to the 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX' statement(s) in /etc/default/grub, then issue the command 'update-grub' to commit the changes to the GRUB bootloader, and finally reboot.

Of course, all of the above needs to be done from root.

Hope this helps somebody out there in VL-land!

For a bit more detail on the cause and solution, see http://techsquirrels.blogspot.com/2013/05/getting-vector-linux-to-recognize.html.

Surely the information helped me..Thanks for link too..

[edit by The Headacher]removed spammy link[/edit]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:28:57 am by The Headacher » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: