VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 06:25:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand New--Question about installation  (Read 1032 times)
Alexhousek

« on: May 22, 2013, 03:26:32 pm »

I am brand new to Vector and relatively new to Linux.  I do have a very old laptop (6-8 years old) that sits on my kitchen table and I use for very basic use during breakfast to read email and some light web-surfing.  It is currently dual-booted with Mint Julia and Peppermint 2; both fairly old distros.

I would like to replace both of these distros.  I would like to install Vector in one partition (replace either Julia or Peppermint) and will probably replace the other one with one of the Puppy/Slacko distros.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but could you point me to a link or tell me how to install Vector over top of one of my existing distros?  I am pretty sure that I used Grub for the dual-boot.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

P.S.  I am typing this using the Live CD of Vector.  Can I install with this Live CD or do I need the "gold" edition?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:57:22 pm »

LiveCD should be installable. While running live, look at the menu, under "System", for vliveinstall.

The installer will allow you to re-format an existing partition and install to it, wiping out the previous distro.

Alexhousek

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:41:41 pm »

Thank you for your response.  I assume that I will NOT have to re-load or re-install the boot-loader?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:29:16 am »

Correct. Boot loader installation is optional. Re-configure your existing loader to boot VL after installing.
Alexhousek

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:33:38 pm »

Re-configure your existing loader to boot VL after installing.

I apologize, but I do not know how to do that?!  Can you explain how I do that once I install Vector overtop an existing distro?

Thanks.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 06:31:48 pm »

I don't know how to help here as I only have VL7 on my machine.  However, I do know that installing VL 7 over an existing distro has nothing to do with it.  What has to do with it is the fact that you want to end up with two distros on the same machine.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:40:23 am »

It depends on which boot loader you are currently using, and which distro installed it. You would need to boot into that one and modify/re-install from there.

Example: Mint Julia, which I think uses grub2. If that is correct, you would boot to Mint and run "sudo update-grub" in a terminal. You can post a question in that distro's forum.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: