VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 09:56:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Orphan  (Read 23045 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: May 29, 2013, 11:16:11 am »

Every body probably thinks VL6 is dead now that 7.0 is out and they are working furiously on 7.1.

I beg to disagree:
  It is a solid build, contains the basics of an excellent system, and has many programs that can be added.
  It installs easily on older equipment such as a PII 400MHz.
  One can click Upgrade All in gslapt without any problem.
  It is an easy leap for those of us that had to learn Windows: 9x, NT, & XP.
  It doesn't come bloated with the distracting eye-candy (ala Win7?)
  And 7.1 has outgrown CD-ROM - I just tried to burn 7.1-B0.33, it was too big.

It is my hope that we can continue VL6 with an occasional upgrade and/or security patch.  Also, there are several entries in gslapt that have missing dependencies, I have a list of some of them if any one is interested.

Bruce

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 03:38:39 pm »

I've been thinking about this for some time and as much as we'd love to have some things stick around forever, in the case of VL6, I think we're asking to much of those involved.

First of all, VL6 was released in February 2009. That's a long time for a Linux distro. With the size of the development team and available pool of testers, you aren't going to find a ready pool of individuals who are going to be keeping an old version of VL on their systems for updating and development. I'm not even sure the existing development system would support VL6 without some serious retweaking of how things are done now.

With the changes that are going into 7.1, the ability to retool and whip out an update to VL6 isn't something that can be done. And don't give up hope on 7.1 not fitting on a CD. There's still some tweaking that needs to be done, but for the time being, we're not too worried about size as much as we're worried about getting the bugs ironed out. Once we're close to releasing a public beta, then we'll work on getting it whittled down to size.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:50:37 am »

Thank you very much for your response.

Like Win98, I have learned to be able to do most things I want to with it just as I had with Win95 & 98.  With 7.0, like XP, I'd be set back nearly where I was with 5.9 & 6.  At least now I have an inkling of how to work with Linux and how to use this forum.  (My thanks, also, to those that put up with me back then.)

For now, I'll use 6 to help me clean out a storage shed of old machines.  Then I can re-start trying to figure out 7.

Bruce

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:55:52 am »

Very interesting!  I tried to dual install VL7.0 with Win7:  It couldn't shrink ntfs.  Neither could VL7.0-Live: no ntfsprog.

Just out of curiosity I tried with VL6: it is shrinking the partition - 7 to 8 hours to free just under 100 gigs.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:26:25 pm »

Maybe it is time to consider moving to VL 7.0 as VL 7.1 is at it beta stage and as far as I can tell it working very nicely...
As the size issue, the developers are trying to make it below 700MB...
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:10:08 pm »

Resizing completed and VL7.0 installed and finishing adding a few programs with gslapt.  Unfortunately, now I have to find the Windows Install disk to "fix" the bootloader.  I put lilo in the partition, not the MBR.

Hata_ph:  If you had read my earlier postings, you would have known I was trying to install VL7.0!  Also my comment that neither it nor VL7.0-LIVE would resize ntfs.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 07:33:36 pm »

Using the install disc may be easier, but take a look at bcdedit /? .

Output of 'bcedit' in Vista (7 is supposed to be the same):

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {default}
resumeobject            {8c384824-6ff0-11db-8455-0016d303c84f}
displayorder            {default}
                        {current}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 4
resume                  No

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {default}
path                    \XTRNBOOT\BOOTSDA6.BIN
description             Bootloader on Partition 6

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Microsoft Windows Vista
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {8c384824-6ff0-11db-8455-0016d303c84f}
nx                      OptIn

This is with VL on sda6, lilo installed in its bootsector. C:\XTRNBOOT\BOOTSDA6.BIN is a copy of the lilo'd bootsector from sda6. If you try bcdedit, follow Microsoft's instructions. Almost every "linux dual boot" site has it wrong; for example, they say the .BIN file won't work anywhere but \BOOT. And the way they do it, it won't.

I make the assumption that your MBR is Windows' and, other than not knowing about the VL there, is fine.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:01:03 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:06 pm »

Windows Install disk to "fix" the bootloader

I just went through that today on a Acer Aspire 5534 dual core Windows 7 Home premium.

I was able to get a dos box command prompt window/terminal open and typed in

Code:
BootRec.exe /fixmbr

This was after I deleted the Linux install (AntiX 13rc1 64bit) and did a

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1
The 446 left the boot partition intact and just wiped grub from mbr.

Before running the fixmbr dos command. Windows was virgin restored via recovery partition but got no boot medium found till I did the dos command
Super Grub Disk 2, Parted Magic 5.6 did not help in this. I used the Ultimate Boot CD free download tool instead and fixed via command line since I knew the restore was done.

The Laptop is going back to my wife is why this was done. She is a die hard Windows user. It booted fine after doing this and I even made recovery DVD set (4 disks including applications and drivers).

Hope you find your disk. If not. I don't have one so that is how I got around not having one.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 02:14:44 am »

Very interesting!  I tried to dual install VL7.0 with Win7:  It couldn't shrink ntfs.  Neither could VL7.0-Live: no ntfsprog.

I ran into the same issue with VL7.0. My workaround at the time was to use the Live version and install ntfsprogs in the live environment, using gslapt.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 04:52:15 am »

rokytnji:  Thanks for your comments.  VL7.0 is now running - I use the install disk to boot it.  Tried Dosbox but it said BuutRec.exe was an illegal command.  I'm asking the person that gave me this pc to bring a boot disk Sunday.

nightflier:  Thank you.  I didn't realize that I could gslapt in live.  (Always something new to learn - yeah!)  I wasn't looking for ntfsprogs when I added to my installation and didn't notice it.

As a side note, the installed VL7.0 is able to read the ntfs partition.  Tomorrow I'll see if wine can install Excel.  VL6 ran out of memory!

roarde:  I missed your post before starting this and will check it out when I close.  I did NOT install lilo to the mbr so it shouldn't have been touched.  I believe windows was complaining because its partition was changed.

edit:  bcdedit is not in VL - at least the normal souces.  Ntfsprogs is in ntfs-3g.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:03:43 am by StrayBit » Logged

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:37:28 pm »

BCDEdit is in Windows 7. I think there's a way of backing up the original files before starting changes. bcdedit /? has some info, and there's more here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731662%28WS.10%29.aspx
It might be easier to use the install disc if you can find it. I don't know -- my machine is one of the many where an install disc was not provided.

Right-click on "Command Prompt", choose "Run As Administrator", and issue "bcdedit" to see what's currently there. You need not be logged on as Administrator, and as a matter of fact it doesn't help; must open Command Prompt by "Run As Administrator" for this one.

Maybe chkdsk c: will stop complaints about the changed partition.

I'm certainly not a Windows guru. Just recently got this machine with it loaded and it's the first time I've ever really run Windows. Went from PTS-DOS to NetBSD to VL. After looking at Windows, I have no idea why, or especially HOW, people have been putting up with it all this time. I keep it for reference, and also a reminder of why I don't mind coming up with a twist or two now and again for VL.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 05:32:49 am »

Thanks roarde.  No wonder I couldn't find it.  Unfortunately, windows will not start.  I can, however access the partition from VL.  I'll see if I can do anything with wine.

And I'm getting exasperated with VL7 again:  to recover from hibernate, I have to type "linux root=/dev/sda7 ro", watch it replay a lot of journal entries, login, then restart seamonkey and recover last session.  (VL6 would start playing the media immediately.) 

This morning was even worse:  it was extremely slow and I tried to restart - it went as far as giving a black screen, After fixing breakfast, I held the power button until the computer shut down then hit it again to start up.  No replays, normal start-up, have the speed back, but now the screen has the aspect of the old tube screens! Wastes 3 1/2 inch of screen!

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 09:25:29 am »

Windows folder looked wrong (maybe looking at the restore partition?)

Restarted saving desktop.  (still using install disk) login and got blackscreen!  This is the third time I've been able to get VL7.0 running on three different pcs and all of them crashed.  (Had tried more but they wouldn't complete the install.)  Installed VL6 but it doesn't know the wireless card and doesn't seem to recognize eth0.  (Accidently put lilo in sda MBR!  it worked.)

I'll wait to see if anyone suggests reinstalling 7.  If not, I'll start a topic in another section.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 12:03:55 pm »

Installed VL6 - no wifi nor cable!  (This is on an HP 620 laptop)
Code:
lspci:
Network Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.  Unknown device 8171 (rev 10)
Probably I found my two bad cables.

Installed VL7.0 SOHO still no wifi!  Found a good cable.  Decided I didn't need the learning curve for kde.

Re-installed VL7.0 and writing this on that.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 08:26:47 am »

Repair disk worked and did not upset grub.

Now, if only VL7 would play my media stream longer than 2 - 3 hours at a time.  Also on starting VL6, it would reconnect to the media stream without any action on my part.  VL7 has to have user action BEFORE it would restart.

Also, last night I left it playing overnight.  In the morning, the pc had shut down!?!?

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: