VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 11:15:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: soho dvorak  (Read 1038 times)
wiliamvw

« on: June 06, 2013, 01:54:05 pm »

Just starting use of VL [latest SOHO 2 cd set], and for the install list of keyboard layouts I don't see Dvorak [all that I use] as an option. Can someone tell me how I may get dvorak installed?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:17:12 pm »

Try this...change the keymap to dvorak instead

If you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-keyboard-layout.conf , as root edit 'Option "XkbLayout" "us"' to 'Option "XkbLayout" "gb"' . If the file's not there,
cp /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-keyboard-layout.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ then edit. Restart X, or use the "setxkbmap gb" command directly to change it for the current session and let the system pick up the change from xorg.conf.d at next reboot.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=17548.0
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:39:26 pm »

btw, can you try use VASM?
Go to VASM -> HARDWARE -> KEYMAPSET
wiliamvw

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:40:58 pm »

Thanks Hata_ph for your advice, and when I went through with the install there appeared a keyboard selection set which enabled me to select Dvorak; however, during install, when it came time to switch cds to the second one included in my SOHO 7.0 Deluxe Edition, the program wouldn't accept it, and kept instructing me to insert the correct cd as the one I did insert [which came with the other one -- purchased and not downloaded -- that was accepted and is in pristine condition with no dust, etc.] was NOT THE CORRECT cd. Kept trying but never worked.
Any suggestions appreciated [any idea what is on that cd? possibly I can get by without it, but would like to check it out].
Is KDE on that second cd, as can only get one of the 5 or 6 desktop selections to come up [xfce with thunar]?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:04:20 pm by wiliamvw » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:25:26 pm »

I am not sure about the dvorak keyboard during SOHO installation but how about use with the default keyboard layout at installation and change it to dvorak afterward?
Yes, KDE should be in the second CD. VL SOHO usually come with XFCE and KDE as default but I believe fluxbox and awesome window manager is also available.
wiliamvw

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 02:14:05 pm »

Went to new install [and put VL first of 2 OSes instead of second] and didn't need the new burned download of cd # 2 which I had gotten ready for the new install, because when it came time to input that second cd that earlier hadn't been recognized by the installer, this time it was recognized and everything went great; now have kde, etc.. Part of the problem may have been due to my veeery old laptop hardware.
Thanks to all for their input, and very much like the way this OS has been assembled and organized; the partitioning especially went very smoothly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: