VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 09:58:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloud  (Read 1714 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: June 08, 2013, 08:26:46 am »

So, if its in the cloud, the government can see it if it wants to? 

But if its on my firewall-protected internet-connected computer, the government can't, at least unless I send it somewhere?

This firewall business has always confused me. 

Perhaps my question should be:  Is a file on my internet-connected computer safer from government spies than it is if I save it somewhere on the cloud?

And a related muse:  Would my files be safer if

a) I did all my legal work on a computer that is not connected to the internet?  and
     b) When ready to file (upload) the document, download it to a usb stick, put that usb stick in a computer which is connected to the internet, and upload it (or download, as the case may be) from there?

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:42:23 am »

Any time you're storing your data on someone elses box you should consider encrypting anything u want to keep private.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:48:23 am »

If the file is transmitted the government then stores that file,
if it is encrypted or not.

Any file you have sent either email FTP or otherwise has been
stored.

Your question depends on your exact desire.

File and drive encryption are only of use when the
file is encrypted.

There a multiple ways to work with encrypted files.
None are full proof. The reason being that while the file
is unencrypted it is no better than any other file.

Storing any file on any network, internet or not is open
to being vulnerable.

Advice I give to my clients is do not store anything in the
cloud.

Your solution is sound except the file should be encrypted
before moving it.

Firewall:

Any connection to a computer is normally via a port.
SSH uses port 22, ftp use port 21, http uses port 80.

So you want to connect via SSH to another computer.
This is a brief overview of that connection:

ssh me@whoknowswhere.biz then goes out to the internet
and finds that ip. If port 22 is open the connection is allowed.
Then if the connection is allowed you can do the authentication
and a connection is established.

A firewall allows that connection to happen:

you system calls another system it goes out and finds the other
system. Then the firewall (if used) will allow or block that connection.

HTH

Bigpaws
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:53:38 am by bigpaws » Logged
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:45:32 pm »

As to encryption:  I know that if wireless telephone communication is encrypted, the key, or a back door, or a method of breaking the encryption must be supplied to NSA. That's now a legal requirement under US federal law.

Now, do you or your clients want to bet against me that it applies to transfer of digital info as well, whether we know it or not?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:45:17 pm »

Thanks guys,

I recently tried gufw firewall but it was never on when I checked, so I went back to using the standard vasm firewall, stock (enabled at boot).   I will have to learn how to use iptables, I suppose. 

As to encryption, I use, but don't much like, kgpg and it seems ok, but I wish it would delete the original.  I am told that kde took out the "shred original" for some reason.  So, the unencrypted file is still on my system, at least, if I take the time to remove it, til I empty trash.

Anyway, Bigpaws, I especially appreciated your suggestions.  I will encrypt now when saving to dropbox.  I doubt there is anyway to encrypt google docs, so I have reduced my use of it. 

I used to worry a bit about hackers.  Now I have added government to the list.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 04:54:47 pm »

Better stop using Dropbox then.

http://www.zdnet.com/fbi-nsa-said-to-be-secretly-mining-data-from-nine-u-s-tech-giants-7000016499/?s_cid=e539&ttag=e539

Personally? I wouldn't store any of my data where I couldn't control it. Email, unfortunately, I'm not in a position to handle. But all other data? You bet I don't store it on someone else's server.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 04:18:24 am »

The power of advertising is amazing. Take something old (server-client computing), repackage it and give it a new name (cloud), and it becomes the next big thing.

It's not just the government you need to worry about. Add insurance companies, employers, advertisers. They all want your data. There are many ways of going about this. I think that rather than trying to gain access to your computer and snooping through your files, they use more insidious, but legal ways. We volunteer much of this information through social networking and other "free" services. Remember; if you don't pay for the product, you are the product.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 11:44:42 am »

The power of advertising is amazing. Take something old (server-client computing), repackage it and give it a new name (cloud), and it becomes the next big thing.

Right? I remember the bad old days of dumb terminals and mainframes. Seems today's generation hasn't learned that lesson yet.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 12:12:13 pm »

Remember; if you don't pay for the product, you are the product.

I'm Vector Linux?

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 12:35:17 pm »

I'm Vector Linux?

In a way. Your satisfaction, your efforts in helping out, and your social interaction with the rest of us is what we want. VL is the "free" product we use to lure you in.  Grin
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 05:22:45 am »

good article about this "cloud" business in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

I just saw it today, but it appears to be dated 2008. 

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 05:52:27 am »

I don't buy everything RMS says, but he has many good points.

Here's another thought: If spying companies start losing customers (money), things may improve.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/08/what_about_a_us_tech_boycott/print.html
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 01:16:10 pm »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance

Personally I use a recycled computer to  connect to the internet and my personal computer is not connected. flash drives are designed for transfer of data if required.

Sometimes clouds look like fuzzy puppies and that is all that matters.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:52:42 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 04:06:50 pm »

Sledgehammer, I don't know what kind of network setup you have, but if you have broadband, chances are your modem/router has a built-in firewall. You can test it by going here: https://www.grc.com/default.htm and scrolling down to "ShieldsUP".

I don't consider myself overly paranoid, just careful. I use Facebook, but at stingy share settings and not much info posted. I keep getting complaints from FB that "my profile is not complete". I have a gmail account, but use it sparingly. If either one or both went away it would not be any great loss.

I run free software whenever I can and use local storage for my documents. I'm not too worried about my computers being connected to the Internet. It is one thing for the government to go to Verizon and demand X million records, another to break into X million personal computers. First one is cheap and easy to conceal (for some time), the other one would be very expensive and liable to quickly be discovered.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: