VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 09:50:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Linphone 3.6.0  (Read 6919 times)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 06:34:18 pm »

try login as another account and see does it happen or not...
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 08:58:32 am »

Thanks hata_ph.

I reloaded libgnome 2.30.0 from the VL repository and that fixed the gui problem both with lyx and etm.  I note, for what its worth, that I had to bypass a dependency error notice ("Depends: bluecurve-icon-theme") in order to re-load libgnome.

Now, my main remaining problem is the time it takes to load linphone 3.6.0.  With 300 addresses in linphonerc it takes about half an hour to load.  Very slow also when saving new entries. 

As I continue to use it, I may figure it out.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 05:09:39 pm »

Sorry as I am not sure about the linphone loading time and the enable-self-view error...maybe you can send a reports to the linphone developer about your issue...
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:56 pm »

I am in contact with the linphone forum and so far their suggestions have not helped.

I am beginning to think that it is a problem with either libgnome or libcanberra.  When I try to load either of these programs from the VL repository I get a bypass error.  The libgnome bypass error is mentioned above.  The libcanberra bypass error is: 

Packages with unmet dependencies:

libcanberra: Depends:  Gconf>=2.24.0

Packages to be installed:

libcanberra 0.25-i586-1vl70.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 05:41:07 am »

Concerning the version you have in the repository (3.6.0) and the version I am now using (3.6.1 from slackbuilds), both of which have the same problem on my system ("enable self view" doesn't work and loading with numerous contacts in linphonerc takes forever),  a knowledgeable slackware fellow on the Linphone forum, a fellow who agrees with me that Linphone is the best of the sip phones, suggests:

It seems to me that you also have issues with connection, this is not
just you, perhaps it is occurring because Linphone has a too long
timeout checking status of each contact, which is annoying, or this
problem is resulted in checking of status in conjunction with
connectivity issue by your ISP.

He suggests that I remove the contacts from linphonerc and find an

external contact management program that would
display contacts in click-able hyperlinks

I think that's a great idea.  Do you have any suggestions of a program I could use which would hold the addresses and allow me to quickly copy and paste them into linphone? 

Interestingly, he also suggests that I should not eliminate the possibility that someone in the upstream internet facilities doesn't want Linphone to work right. 

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 10:14:13 pm »

Well, here's the linphone story to date:  The version in the testing repository (3.6.0) takes forever to load if many names in linphoneric AND crashes on "enable self video."  I downloaded 3.6.1 from the linphone site (if you try to download 3.6.0 you get 3.6.1) and installed via slackbuilds.  Its still slow but "enable self video" doesn't crash.  slackbuilds says to pass "VIDEO=yes" to the slackbuild script when compiling but the SBO script so build nonetheless shows "Video=false." and at the config point:  video disable.  A fellow on the linphone forum thinks I should consider making a bug report but I have no clue how to do that.

I have removed all the names from linphonerc moved them to a text file.  linphone now works find, audio-wise, but  I have to cut and paste in the phone numbers.

Thanks for all your help. 

John

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 10:19:33 pm »

what is the function of the enable-self-video actually?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 01:33:14 pm »

When pressing the "enable self video" button in linphone 3.5.2, a video of the user shows on the screen.

I received the following from the linphone administrator this morning:

Hi John,

To speed up things you can set subscribe=0 for each of your friends in your linphonerc. You will then no longer be able to see their presence status but it will no longer block the UI.

Cheers,
Ghislain

I did this and linphone now loads fine with all my contacts in linphonerc.  How this trick is to be communicated to the user, I have not a clue. 

John

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 04:24:40 pm »

Did the linphone administrator mention is that a bug for slow loading of many contact list?
Did he/she mention about the enable-self-video issue too?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 10:14:38 pm »

Did the linphone administrator mention is that a bug for slow loading of many contact list?

No, but another fellow, also an administrator I believe, suggested that I consider making a bug report.  He also asked if I had tried Linphone on another distribution and I said "no."

Did he/she mention about the enable-self-video issue too?

No.  They had me check the .configure line on the SBO to determine whether video was enabled after I compiled with "VIDEO=yes."  I did so and reported that the .configure line reported "video disabled."

I am now running Linphone mostly from the command line:

$ linphonec

call sip:17758888888@diamondcard.us

(Above is a phoney number) Linphone then dials the number (which I get from a text file).

the linphone gui sucks with "subscribe=0"

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 10:37:39 am »

Question:

When running linphone from the command line I go to a text file for the Contact info (phone number in my case) and then paste it between sip: and @diamondcard.us.

I wonder if there is some fairly easy way to automate this without having to learn python or some such?  The linphone gui makes an attempt, but its a pretty poor attempt in that there is no "search again" function and the contact list is not alphabetized. 

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 05:26:41 pm »

Question:

When running linphone from the command line I go to a text file for the Contact info (phone number in my case) and then paste it between sip: and @diamondcard.us.

I wonder if there is some fairly easy way to automate this without having to learn python or some such?  The linphone gui makes an attempt, but its a pretty poor attempt in that there is no "search again" function and the contact list is not alphabetized. 

sorry...no idea about that...  Cry
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:43 pm »

Well,

I have given up on linphone for the time being.  It is better in so many ways than twinkle, but twinkle works.  I tried twice today to do a conference call on linphone and failed.  Conference worked fine on twinke. 

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 08:12:21 am »

note from diamondcard:

Diamondcard Support

On 07/11/2013 12:57 AM, John White wrote:
> I have lost the thread.
>
> Anyway, so far, probably a year after you suggested that Twinkle is the
> best out there, I have to finally give up and agree.  But I will
> continue to try to find something that is better as Twinkle's contact
> list is cumbersome to use.
>
> I just thought it would be nice to let you know that you were right.

Taki is pretty close. It's a new softphone for Blackberry and might be
available for Linux.

>
> And suggest to you that if you know anyone at Twinkle, perhaps they
> could consider an update.

Well, I don't think they are updating it anymore. It's kind of like our
Windows softphone. It's the best out there still and we haven't updated
it in a long time.

Diamondcard Support

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 09:19:09 am »

hata_ph,

Having said that (see above correspondence with diamondcard), this morning Twinkle started hanging up on incoming calls after only a few seconds.  I had had this problem with linphone a few months back.

Anyway, frustrated, I closed Twinkle and then deleted linphone on my system (pretty sure this was 3.6.1 from sourceforge).  I reinstalled linphone 3.6.0 from the VL testing repository and it has been working flawlessly all morning.  I loaded openvpn first, but doubt that makes any difference.  Your linphone has not hung up on any incoming calls, so far at least.  I will use it exclusively now and let you know of any problems.  I am home today and AT&T is my internet service.  I have a faster cable service (charter) at the office and we will see how that goes tomorrow.  I have not yet tried the conference phone gadget on linphone but will no doubt soon.  I am really pleased.

Thank you!

John

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: