VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 08:30:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloud-based vs local area network  (Read 1909 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: June 27, 2013, 10:53:59 am »

We don't use a local network.  We have several VL 7 computers which are not connected to each other.  Of late we have been "connecting" them via google drive and/or dropbox.  Haven't really settled yet on one or the other, though dropbox has the advantage of appearing as just another folder in the file manager.

I just checked pricing of dropbox professional and its $795 or so per year for a store of my size.  I haven't checked with Google.

I am thinking that it might be cheaper and, perhaps, safer,  and possibly better to set up my own local area network.  As I understand it, that would do about the same thing as google drive/dropbox.....Any comments are appreciated.

Does anyone know if I could use VL7 as the OS on the local server?  Or point me to some article that might give me some advice?

Thanks

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:10:17 pm »

Hi John,

I would try http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync/get-started.html

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 06:27:24 pm »

There is a lot to consider when setting up your own server or even LAN workgroup.  I personally don't like the LAN option for my home because I want to know where my kids go online and "control" it.  VL may be okay for the basics but will probably require a lot of custom work to run as a server (file server, internet server, firewall, etc.).  I would suggest using an easy to setup but designed server distro vs "out of the box" Slackware or RedHat Enterprise unless you know and like to do all your own customizations.  If you like to do your own then I would use VL that you already know well.  I personally use ClearOS (CentOS based which is RedHat Enterprise-based) for my home (5-10 machines connecting at any given time and would support 100s of PCs if necessary) but there are a few others that I've tried and are easy for the novice (like me) to manage:  SuperbMiniServer (Slack-based), SME Server (CentOS-based but purposely a generation or so behind), and Zentyal (Ubuntu-based).  These have most of the utilities that are commonly used already setup for you.  They will work as file server, firewall, internet gateway, data server, etc.  Their security options will surpass a cloud-based option in my opinion.  All of these server OSs are free to use, have decent support forums, but have paid support options if you need it I believe.  They will run on desktop hardware but having two NICs (or more) is needed if you use the server for a internet gateway.

HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:30:22 pm »

Your own network  can be the cost of a router. You can setup a server and share your
files as a local directory. Not that expensive. You do not need to worry if the service
will be available or just stopped. It is possible you already have everything that you
need to do the project.

Bigpaws
ddval

That's my story and I'm stuck with it.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 08:15:20 pm »

Great information here for the novice interested in the subject.  Thank you for the in depth dialog.

Cheers
Linux User 561425
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: