VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 06:43:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming Home to Vector  (Read 1457 times)
CrazyDog

« on: July 01, 2013, 03:50:26 am »

I have been using Linux Mint for a while now because it seemed that Vector was all but dead.  As I type this I am downloading version 7.1.  These things really need (in my opinion) to be on Distrowatch so everyone will know that Vector is alive and well.  I have also been a little put off in the description of the distro as being for "old computers".  My computer is not old - I simply think Vector is the best! 

Thank you for all of your hard work.

CrazyDog
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:04:59 pm »

Welcome back... Smiley
Yes, I believe VL is a bit under rated...VL need more users to promote it...
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:26:37 pm »

Happy to have you back, CrazyDog.

I agree that VL is not so much for old computers, considering we're pretty current with our kernel versions. Maybe "tuned for speed" would be a better description.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:22:58 pm »

Welcome CrazyDog,

I like your comment. I usually get a new computer each year, just because I wear it out, and I use vector 7.0 because a) I know how to load the latest VL version on one partition without destroying my home data, b) it is completely solid and reliable, c) it runs fast, d) it doesn't change all the time and e) it and its applications are free and opensource. 

I was talking today with an associate in a distant city.  He is  a heavy comptuer user, CPA, who uses a top of the line Windows something or another.  We both had the same file on our hard drives and decided to discuss it.  I had it on my screen at least a minute before he had it on his. 

Its the package and the vision of those who package VL that make it an excellent choice for the long run. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
tictacPoc

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:07:14 pm »

Welcome back... Smiley
Yes, I believe VL is a bit under rated...VL need more users to promote it...

I agree that VectorLinux has no  merit that should be in the Linux community. But I think the problem of VectorLinux is internationalization when the people want install in another language of english. I think the only problem is at this level. VectorLinux at all the qualities to be in the top 10 Linux Distro easily.

long life to Vector
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:14:30 am »

Actually. Being a member of another small misunderstood Linux community. AntiX. Plus all the mis-informed press about it in some blogs.

I like small communities with speedy distros and lots of features. It was what drew me to Vector in the first place.
Well that and a certain Slackware user telling me Vector was not really Slackware, (just elitist fud)

I find small communities to be most helpful and friendly/ Just try starting a thread at Ubuntu or even Mint forums and listen to the crickets chirp
as your thread gets swallowed with a thousand (I hate this or that, or it don't work, or heeeeeeeeeeeeelp)

Antix is blogged as being for old computers. Wrong as usual. I am not on my Vector Desktop, which is on the other table. But it runs my iBM M41 just fine thank you.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 11:29:17 am »

I like to think that there is something related to minimalism and simplicity in anything thats good.
I dont know if Vector is there yet, but surely its not about the age of the hardware only.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
CrazyDog

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 05:43:45 pm »

Thank you everyone for all of your kind replies, and you are right, I don't think the top distros have that special sense of community that Vector has.

Again, thanks!
reddragon3668

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 07:36:10 am »

Vector was one of the first Distro's that I ever loaded. I used it for a good long while some years ago. It has always been straightforward and stable, in my opinion. I've never had any trouble with it. After going without Linux for a year or so, I just recently returned and decided to give Vector another go. I was glad to see the community alive and well and the distro looks good and runs as stable as I remember. I had forgotten just how boring a Winblows machine actually was!
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 08:26:55 am »

I find small communities to be most helpful and friendly/ Just try starting a thread at Ubuntu or even Mint forums and listen to the crickets chirp
as your thread gets swallowed with a thousand (I hate this or that, or it don't work, or heeeeeeeeeeeeelp)

You've noticed that, too, huh? Didn't used to be that way, but as the distro has gotten more popular, the old hands that used to help out no longer do so. I had a Mint issue a version or two back and while it had a ton of views, not a single reply to it even to this day.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
CrazyDog

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »

as your thread gets swallowed

Crickets indeed!  I posted several times over at Mint and got nowhere.  I will stick with Vector because it is like a family, and the software is awesome.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: