VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 11:01:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED} Bootable DVD for Win7  (Read 1574 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: July 05, 2013, 01:00:18 pm »

How does one make a DVD bootable?

The files are Win7.  I have burned them to a DVD-RW with brasero in vl7.0, but it won"t boot
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:18:35 am by StrayBit » Logged

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
douglas88

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 04:01:07 am »

Easyboot is a tool that you can use to create a bootable dvd easily.  EasyBoot is an integrated tool to create MultiBoot, Menu driven CDs & DVDs with native language. It has the ability to produce boot image files, and generate the ISO file. Then you can use CD/DVD Recording software such as Nero or Roxio to Record the ISO and you get a bootable CD/DVD.
Similar solution here http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-create-boot-disk.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:17:13 am »

Thank you Douglas.  That works with Win7.  Unfortunately, I don't have an iso which I could have burned with VL7.

I guess what I need is some instruction on creating an iso.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:47:21 pm »

What exactly is this disc supposed to do? Is it supposed to be a bootable windows DVD?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 07:24:59 pm »

Yes.  If I need to change the partitions - again.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 03:24:16 am »

What are you using to modify NTFS partitions? If you're using gparted, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Go here and snag Hiren's BootCD and burn the ISO to a disc. http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

This is an ISO that has virtually any tool you'd need to work with your hard drive. For a list of what the disc contains, read the list here: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 07:33:50 am »

The story of my life!  I say too little or too much!

Thanks for the link.  It appears to be an awesome disk.

I was given a laptop with Win7.  I used VL6 gparted to free up 100g. (Someone later told me that I could have gslapt NTFS Utilities in VL7 Live.) Then I installed VL7 which worked beautifully.  I've forgotten the message Win7 gave me when it would not boot but it did tell me to insert the Win7 CD and select the repair option.  I managed to borrow a cd and Win7 now boots (after running checkdisk twice).

I copied the cd to my hd before I had to return it and removed the language folder to get the size down to the CDRW that I bought.  Unfortunately, just copying the files to cd in the VL7 equivalent of kburn didn't make it bootable.  I need to automatically run setup.exe on this cd in order to repair Win7 boot in the event I change the size of the partiition again.

(while writing this, I got to wondering if wine could run that file, either from hd or cd, and achieve the desired result.  I'll try that later this weekend.)

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 03:45:11 pm »

I could easily be wrong, but I think your now-running Win 7 will generate a bootable repair CD. Not sure how to access that functionality. If it will, then start VL, insert the CD, and copy disc to ISO. That'll grab its bootsector and everything. When it's needed and you've lost the "original", just burn the ISO back to CD.

If I'm wrong about Win 7 making one, suppose you could ask to borrow the one you used just one more time to pull an ISO image. But I wonder: If Win 7's got enough left to say "insert repair CD", what are the chances that you could press F8 at boot and fiddle around 'til you get a Command Prompt for running chkdsk?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 03:20:23 am »

Ahhh! You borked the MBR of the hard drive and Windows doesn't like that.  I take it you had to run bootrec.exe?

Creating a repair disc is easy in Windows 7. Follow the instructions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 05:17:55 am »

Thanks Robert.  I've been to F8 many times where I can select hd, fd, cd, or usb to boot, but was unable to locate any way of accessing the restore partition.

Thank you Retired1af.  You hit the nail on the head as that gave me a restore dvd.  I can delete all the files I copied from the borrowed dvd as they are no longer needed.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: