VectorLinux
April 20, 2014, 01:52:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How About a Debian Based Version Of Vector Linux  (Read 1049 times)
syncdram

« on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:01 am »

So there is no such thing a a stupid question? Why not a Debian based version of Vector? This will alleviate most if not all the problems i have watched, read, encountered on a daily basis for the past 2 years of using Vector. 2 separate machines both same day Vector installed from 2 years ago. One i kept stuck in time the second machine was updated for software only not system wide. The stuck in time machine was just that stuck in time, ran like a champ for what it was. Breakage after breakage on the 2 year updated machine.
Basic software updates, (know here as a new version of so and so) Sadly a complete removal of vector and back to a Debian based Linux distro.  What ever happened to Strech? Sad

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:29:32 am »

aargghh!

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
CrazyDog

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 03:59:35 pm »

From what I have read, Slackware distros are as stable or more stable than Debian any day.  Or am I wrong? Huh
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:16:49 pm »

Not only no, but HELL NO!

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
rokytnji
Vectorite

Linux Friganeer

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:49:45 am »

Or be like me and run both.  Wink  Ya might learn something from it.

Code:
$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (wheezy)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="7.0"
VERSION="7.0 (wheezy)"
ID=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.debian.org/"
$ cat /etc/issue.net
Welcome to antiX. Powered by Debian Testing.

Hard enough for team members to maintain one type of a  based distro at a time. Especially small teams.
I oughta know.  We maintain/answer questions about  stable, testing,unstable, and experimental with clueless linux users that are broke
with old hardware.

So no, not a dumb question. Just a wrong out look on freedom and ways to skin a cat.

Happy Trails, Rok

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:33 pm »

Just for grins and giggles, I downloaded the latest Debian release (7.1) and thought I'd see what all the hoopla was about. For something that's being touted as a modern distribution, I'd fully expect it to detect my network card and wireless card. It did neither. Intel video drivers were also a full point version off from the latest available.

I was not impressed. Include it as a VL base? I think not.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 04:53:57 pm »

Unlikely. There is a lot going on behind the scenes, with much effort towards automating and improving the build process of VL. All that assumes a SW base.

Debian is a fine distro, I've been running it on servers for years.
jessejazza

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 02:18:43 pm »

I have been a *buntu user since 2007 until I started using VL.

What makes VL special is that it seems to be so fast, detect all hardware (in my case anyway) and is well presented. The drawback with debian (debian based distros) I have found is that if dependencies change/no longer available one gets problems like there is currently with Abiword - a development version full of bugs is used until the next stable release is available. 2.8.6 is the current one which is fine on distros other than debian based.

I've got over the problem (and others) by using VL and it is unlikely I would think of going back to debian based. From what I have seen of linux distros the successful ones stay small, produce a good product and don't produce too many variations (ubuntu? is it 8 now, pclos? 6 or 7, Mint? 7) as there isn't then time to sort out bugs.

Great motto to keep to in life - "Do a job and do it well".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: