VectorLinux
April 22, 2014, 11:17:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with LXPanel - Menu blank when position at top.  (Read 1109 times)
JWG76

« on: July 15, 2013, 12:51:55 am »

I've just installed Vector Linux Light on my resurrected 2002 PC.  It flies on 1gb of RAM!
Compared to the previously installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron, the PC had been mothballed a while, it seems fantastic.

I really wanted a distro to learn about Linux on and the friendly support available in this forum really swung my decision to go with VL.  

There's a couple of issues that I haven't resolved yet.
1. VL defaulting to the onboard sound card not my SB 5.1.  I just found a "HOWTO make one soundcard default" which I think should work, I'll try tonight.
2. The LXPanel menu is blank if I position the panel on the top, fine at the bottom or side positions.  Has anyone else experienced this and know how to resolve this?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:22:31 am by JWG76 » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 04:28:57 pm »

Welcome to VL Smiley

May I ask what WM you are using now? As I recall VL Light 7.0 do not come with lxpanel as default...
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 05:00:14 pm »

Welcome JWG76.

VL7 Light does have the LXDE option, sounds like that is what's in use.

Suggestion: Change the subject of the original post, add something like "problem with lxpanel". That may draw the attention of someone who know what to do.
JWG76

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:23:45 am »

Thanks to both of you - subject amended.
And yes it is LXDE.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:02:57 pm »

The lxpanel issue is a bug http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31253
I will try to make a update package for it...let you know when i am done...

EDIT:

I have build lxpanel-0.5.12 and I should fix the top blank menu issue...if you are using pcmanfm then i suggest to upgrade to version 1.1.0 as version 0.9.x is not compatible with the new menu-cache that come with lxpanel...
The packages should be available at the testing repo now
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:57:11 pm by hata_ph » Logged
JWG76

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:54:29 am »

That's great.  I will give it a try later.
Many thanks
JWG76

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:33 pm »

That's great.  I will give it a try later.
Many thanks

I finally got round to testing.
LXPanel itself now seems to work.  It can be positioned top, bottom or sides and displays everything it should.
However I also seemed to lose various configurations - wallpaper, right click menu etc. and the menu no longer updated automatically.
I guess I need to tinker to get these issues sorted but I must say now I've tried the Medium version of VLL I think I prefer it and may abandon LXDE.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 04:43:37 pm »

I have no problem editing the wallpaper and right click menu after upgrade the lxpanel via gslapt/slapt-get
can you show me your recent log of /var/log/pkgtools
show us your $HOME/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf too
JWG76

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 01:08:05 pm »

Logging back into LXDE it now appears ok. I don't know whether it just needed a reboot.
When I was using Openbox yesterday i installed Libre Office from the main repository.  immediately after installation the right click menu on the desktop looked like the apps menu for VL7.0 not Light. After a reboot it reverted to normal.
Sorry for slow feedback I'm not finding a lot of spare time at the moment.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: