VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 08:42:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone using a good slackware gui sip phone?  (Read 2107 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: July 22, 2013, 07:27:12 am »

Though this question is based on a recent post in New Packages concerning sflphone, it seems rather generic so I post it here.  Perhaps someone has some pointers

The problem, it seems, is that the gui sip phones I know about don't seem to work well in slackware.

For examples:

yate (untested repository) is a great program but it won't accept incoming calls out of the box and I can't figure out how to fix this.
sflphone (testing repository) hangs up on incoming calls within a minute or so.
linphone (regular repository) hangs up often on incoming calls within a minute or so.

Only Twinkle (regular repository) seems to work as intended on incoming calls and Twinkle is not being maintained.

Similarly, though hata_ph's efforts with yate give it a great local address book, sflphone (and ekiga) rely on third party address books which I can't get to install (or, in ekiga's case (evolution), don't want to install) and linphone's address book doesn't work well at all.  Twinkle's address book works as intended but is cumbersome to use.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:49 am »

I think I answered my own question.  My home internet is telephone based ethernet and office is cable internet.  This morning, at office, I tried same thing.

Yate accepted incoming calls and did not hang up.  "Ringer" in options must be "Off" to avoid sound card error.
sflphone still hung up after less than a minute.
linphone did not hang up (but as mentioned, lack of a decent local address function is a fatal error for my purposes).
And good old Twinkle continued to work as intended (but  too cumbersome for my use).

So, at this writing, at least, I think YATE is the only decent gui based sip phone that works perfectly on my VL system.  We have hata_ph to thank and I do thank him.

I will continue using Yate, conference calls etc and report back if any problems.  Remember, on my system at least, Ringer in preferences must be off for Yate to accept incoming calls.

I don't know why I am having trouble with incoming Yate calls on my home internet but I seriously doubt that is Yate's problem.

John

BTW, calls to my diamondcard.us sip number and my google-talk number both ring through to Yate.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:03:46 am by sledgehammer » Logged

Chris530

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:53:34 pm »

jitsi
ddval

That's my story and I'm stuck with it.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:12:12 pm »

Do any of these sip phones give performance that approach the common cell or hardline telephone.  I've had people call me using sip and the quality at my end was not good.

Cheers
Linux User 561425
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 05:39:12 am »

I now use yate, running on diamondcard.us, for almost all my calls.  I had to adjust my sound settings a bit with alsamixer (if I don't turn  down the volume to my usb headphones, callees sometimes complain of echo).  I think that there is little, if any, difference in sound quality versus a landline.  I do notice a marked deprecation of sound quality if the wireless signal is weak, so whenever possible, I use Yate with a landline.  Yate's address book is quite convenient to use.

I suppose Yate could be used with google's jabber whatever its called for free. 

ddval

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:32:52 am »

I now use yate, running on diamondcard.us, for almost all my calls.  I had to adjust my sound settings a bit with alsamixer (if I don't turn  down the volume to my usb headphones, callees sometimes complain of echo).  I think that there is little, if any, difference in sound quality versus a landline.  I do notice a marked deprecation of sound quality if the wireless signal is weak, so whenever possible, I use Yate with a landline.  Yate's address book is quite convenient to use.

I suppose Yate could be used with google's jabber whatever its called for free. 

This is good to know.   Do you have an idea of what the cost benefit ratio is using your sip method?

Cheers
Linux User 561425
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 12:20:32 pm »

No.  Sorry.   Diamondcard.us is inexpensive and, I think, google's equivalent (jabber:__________@gmail.com) is free.  I just haven't used jabber (much) yet.  As to local calls, since I still maintain a land line, its apples and oranges.  However, as to long-distance, diamondcard is clearly much cheaper that my landline.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:22:16 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

ddval

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 07:49:13 am »

No.  Sorry.   Diamondcard.us is inexpensive and, I think, google's equivalent (jabber:__________@gmail.com) is free.  I just haven't used jabber (much) yet.  As to local calls, since I still maintain a land line, its apples and oranges.  However, as to long-distance, diamondcard is clearly much cheaper that my landline.

Thank you.  The information will help.

Cheers
Linux User 561425
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: