VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: log of recent file actions  (Read 1848 times)

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
log of recent file actions
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:48:03 am »

Hello.  Is there a log of recent file actions that I can access anywhere?  I was using Thunar, and I grabbed a hidden file (/home/mark/.jpilot) to put it in the side-pane shortcut list, and the file simply disappeared (IE, it's now not listed in either the side-pane shortcut list of the main list of files).  Needless to say, I'm not pleased.  Anyway, is there a record of what happened to files anywhere?  

ETA:  I did find the file.  Seems I moved it into one of the other short cuts, rather than creating a shortcut of the file itself.  Still, it would be useful to be able to track such things via a log file.  Is there one?  I checked /var/log directory, but couldn't make head or tail or it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:12:32 am by MarkGrieveson »
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: log of recent file actions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:15:10 pm »

Hi Mark,

The shell tool find could be useful. For example, you can use

Code: [Select]
find $HOME -mmin 5
To get a list of files modified in the last 5 minutes. You can adjust time frames and add more filters for better accuracy. In your case -type d for looking at directories only, or since you know the name of the folder, you can grep for that too.

HTH, Rodrigo
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

MarkGrieveson

• Vectorian
Re: log of recent file actions
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:18:38 pm »

Thanks rbistolfi and yusufcpi.  The command you've suggested is very useful.
I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE