VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 08:14:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.1 system time  (Read 4579 times)
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« on: August 01, 2013, 07:36:18 am »

id like to bring issue to the exclusion of a time configuration option in 7.1.  its my understanding that no option will be given during install to set time and no info will be made available to the end user about the possibility of their time not being set correctly.

time is rather important. i never even noticed mine was wrong until i noticed gmail had the wrong timestamps in my emails. its easy enough to fix, for example i did

ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Michigan localtime  && hwclock -s

but why should the end user have to go searching and sorting to figure out how to set the time correctly when in my opinion it should be set during install. or atleast have a note popup immediately after install instructing how to do so

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:18:57 am »

bump! From a user experience perspective this ranks high for me.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:20:18 am »

rbistolfi told me there was supposed to be some info/tutorial links on the desktop after installation, however they do not point to the proper docs. on my "desktop" they are as such.....

vecotr tutorials opens browser homepage
vector docs opens http://www.vectorlinux.com/
and the forums icon opens the forums main page (im guessing this one is correct?)

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 03:42:57 am »

Every single 7.1 beta (and alpha) I've installed has taken the system time from my machine and set it accordingly within the OS. It's not doing this on your machine?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:24:07 pm »

no it is not. i did not even notice the issue actually until i got an email from my mother with a timestamp of 2 am and shes just not awake that late.
my clock time was correct but my sys time was off by many hours

wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:34:39 pm »

im not sure if this post is related or not but its worth a mention

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=17719.0

vasm-legacy would not set my time either, however on all other distros of my multi-boot laptop the time is correct.
note: its the sys time thats off, not the clock time (but clock time is as relevant as your wristwatch in this instance)

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 02:26:11 pm »

grep "localtime\|UTC" /etc/hardwareclock
/sbin/vzoneset      at "localtime or UTC" choice, choose the one that did NOT appear when the above command was run.

I discovered this by asking my wristwatch, which relevantly replied, "Ask the clock."

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 02:31:51 pm »

Because of the many possibilities provided by multiple OS installs (whether concurrently or serially), installers must make provision to view and change the timezone assumed to be the one used by the hardware clock. That's not to say that asking the user is the right answer.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 07:16:35 pm »

roarde, if you go back and read the first post i made in this thread you would see that i solved my time issue and wasnt asking for help to solve it. actually i gave a solution for others who may have this issue as well

the issue is there was no option to set the time during install and i was told there would be no option in the final release. further more if you look through the forums you would see i am not the only one who has had a sys time issue

wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 07:21:11 pm »

why wouldn't asking the user be the right answer as they know what time it is better than the installer?

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:13:03 am »

This discussion is very interesting.  I have not noticed any time issues when loading VL 7, but will pay more attention next time.  It would be great if there were some way to, by default, sync the VL time with real time, so the various programs that depend on accurate time would work better.  For example, if ETM properly reminds me to be somewhere at 10:00 am, but my VL clock is wrong, due to computer time creep or whatever, I will be either too early or late.  Perhaps just a warning, whenever the the difference between VL time and real time reached a certain point, would do.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 08:37:50 am »

another way (my preferred method) for keeping system time accuracy is to run ntpd

http://www.ntp.org/

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:32:00 pm »

Thanks,

My problem is I forget to go to root and run ntpd.  I set it up a year or two ago and it still seems to work when I remember.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 04:22:30 am »

I dug a bit deeper and I see what you're talking about. Wierd. Clock was showing correct time, but internally, it was buggered up. We'll have to address this during the installation process. Smiley

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 05:28:14 am »

This thread has been surprising to me.  Every installation that I've used from 5.9 through 7.0 allows the installer to select the time zone and, I believe, whether the clock is local or UTC.

Also, 7.1 is still in testing stage.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: