VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 09:04:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [ SOLVED ] AbiWord help please.  (Read 3609 times)
Locator
Vectorian

« on: August 01, 2013, 02:21:50 pm »

How do I go about removing or disabling the "Recently Used" option in programs such as AbiWord when I click on the Open" option in the "File"menu?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:43:33 pm by Locator » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 04:24:53 pm »

I am not sure but you might want to check the Abiword forum...
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:37:40 am »

It also seems to be the case with just about any of the text-based editors in Linux, which it why I asked here.
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:51:00 pm »

I found this.  Seems to be that the "Recently used" choices are generated from a file called .recently-used.xbel (note the preceding dot, indicating that it's a hidden file.)  On my machine, I think it's located at /home/mark/.local/share/recently-used.xbel (so, in a hidden directory rather than a hidden file).

The link I gave seems to indicate that eliminating this file and placing a directory with the same name as the file in the same location will prevent the file from being created, thus ending the compilation of "Recently used" choices from appearing (see the "EDIT" in the link).  I don't know if this will work, but it could be something to try.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:53:17 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 07:36:20 am »

Thanks. So do I need to log in as 'root' in order to be able to see it, or do I go about it some other way?
jessejazza

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:42:37 am »

I am not sure but you might want to check the Abiword forum...

Forum? didn't know there was one - there's a mailing list and they are friendly and helpful Grin

mailing list
http://www.abisource.com/support/help/maillist.phtml
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 05:06:05 pm »

Me too found this Recetly Used option rather annoying. Wonder who thought of
it without giving much thought. Tongue

Removed file /home/user/.recently-used and the annoyance is gone. Smiley

You do not to be root to delete anything in your home directory.
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 05:49:42 pm »

Ah, but do I need to be logged on as root on order to SEE any hidden files?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 06:04:22 pm »

cli: ln -a  oops. thanks for the nudge below.
cli: ls -a
file manager: usually View > Show hidden files   (Web says Thunar answers to ctrl-H)
if locate database is somewhat recent: locate ~/*recently-used
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:38:07 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:41:54 am »

"ls -a" Smiley  or, my favorite; "mc".
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 03:52:07 pm »

I found this.  Seems to be that the "Recently used" choices are generated from a file called .recently-used.xbel (note the preceding dot, indicating that it's a hidden file.)  On my machine, I think it's located at /home/mark/.local/share/recently-used.xbel (so, in a hidden directory rather than a hidden file).

The link I gave seems to indicate that eliminating this file and placing a directory with the same name as the file in the same location will prevent the file from being created, thus ending the compilation of "Recently used" choices from appearing (see the "EDIT" in the link).  I don't know if this will work, but it could be something to try.
Thank you Cheesy!
Locator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:10 pm »

Sorry - I tried that. It doesn't work (the operating system just writes another ".recently-used.xbel" file) Sad. So how do I prevent that from happening?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 11:22:48 pm »

If you want to clear the recent list in abiword, first delete the noted file and replace with a new folder of the same name, then move any docs on the abi list to a different place or folder. then open abi and click a recent and it will give an error and remove it from the list. continue until all items are removed and the list is clear. you will still get the list if you open files but this will clear the list when needed at least.

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 12:00:16 am »

You may also try opening /.abisuite/abiword.profile in a text editor and change recent max="9" to "0" and save..you may also see current listings here so delete those aswell.

Code:
<Plugin
name="_AbiPaint_"
szImageEditor="gimp"
bLeaveImageAsPNG="1"
/>

<Recent
max="0"
/>

<Geometry
width="800"
height="600"