VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 05:28:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Vector addict  (Read 2008 times)
jotabe

« on: August 03, 2013, 03:27:25 pm »

hi there...

im john (juan). Im from South America (Argentina) and i'm around 30 years old...

I registered myself in this forum in order to join the VL community...

I have a long term love & hate relationship with GNU/Linux. Back in the day i tried Corel, Turbo and a couple of Ubuntu releases... But the first distro i felt inlove with was Slackware. i used Slackware 7.1, 9 and 12... with version 12 during 8 months i have it as my only OS in my PC

But Slack came at a great cost, i never get to do all that an OS its intended to, and i end up going back to win XP. And this was around 4 years ago...

a couple of months ago i realyzed that my XP its going to be as obsolete as a Win98 in something like 1 to 3 years, Its time to change!

My PC could run (not very fluid but it could) a win7, but i think its time to change for good to GNU/Linux OS

So searching for the best Distro for my needs i went again for Slackware, but i read some comments about the lack of security updates, and besides, i need a lightweight Linux for my box... so i found out vector, i tried it on VBox and i knew that this is the next love of my life!

i think that even with my box i can do whatever i need with VL, and i don't need anything else for the usage i give to my PC (mainly using Office suit, MP3 player, some non-pro sound editing, basic image editing and Internet surfing

My box:

Asrock 775i65G
Intel Celeron D 3.2 - Dual core 64bit capable
2GB Ram (DDR 1 400mhz) - 2 x 1gb
Nvidia Gforce 6200 512 ram - AGP 8x video card
Sound Blaster Live! 24 - PCI sound card
Encore Enliwi-G - wireless PCI card

(as you can see its quite an oldware)

i really hope to contribute in any way i can!

see u all!

jotabe
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 05:30:45 pm »

Welcome Smiley

PS: Your hardware should be work fine with VL...but I am not sure about the wireless card thou Tongue
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 06:09:52 pm »

hi there...

im john (juan). Im from South America (Argentina) and i'm around 30 years old...

I registered myself in this forum in order to join the VL community...

I have a long term love & hate relationship with GNU/Linux. Back in the day i tried Corel, Turbo and a couple of Ubuntu releases... But the first distro i felt inlove with was Slackware. i used Slackware 7.1, 9 and 12... with version 12 during 8 months i have it as my only OS in my PC

But Slack came at a great cost, i never get to do all that an OS its intended to, and i end up going back to win XP. And this was around 4 years ago...

a couple of months ago i realyzed that my XP its going to be as obsolete as a Win98 in something like 1 to 3 years, Its time to change!

My PC could run (not very fluid but it could) a win7, but i think its time to change for good to GNU/Linux OS

So searching for the best Distro for my needs i went again for Slackware, but i read some comments about the lack of security updates, and besides, i need a lightweight Linux for my box... so i found out vector, i tried it on VBox and i knew that this is the next love of my life!

i think that even with my box i can do whatever i need with VL, and i don't need anything else for the usage i give to my PC (mainly using Office suit, MP3 player, some non-pro sound editing, basic image editing and Internet surfing

My box:

Asrock 775i65G
Intel Celeron D 3.2 - Dual core 64bit capable
2GB Ram (DDR 1 400mhz) - 2 x 1gb
Nvidia Gforce 6200 512 ram - AGP 8x video card
Sound Blaster Live! 24 - PCI sound card
Encore Enliwi-G - wireless PCI card

(as you can see its quite an oldware)

i really hope to contribute in any way i can!

see u all!

jotabe

please do updated your mb 775i65G's bios to the latest version at  first,also make abit overclocking for CPU, vga card,pci clock can set to 105-110M  from bios, make sure  your ram working in dual channel.
why don;t use embeded sound , cm9761?
there's also embeded VGA on MB,you should NOT leave it obsolete, USING VXCONF UNDER VL7.1 64BIT BETA GENERATING  XORG.CONF,YOU CAN HAVE TWO MONITORS PLUS TWO KEYBOARD MOUSE WORKING WITH ONE BOX, now two users can use the same pc box  working by login into different users id.
that save your argentine  alot.....
for wiki you 'd better buy another wiki usb , that's it....
but asrock's quality's just so-so, made in red cina sweatshop factories,not taiwan, japan, malaysia, korea...YOU'D BETTER OVERCLOCK THIS MB, IF THERE'S PROBLEMIN ONE YEAR WANRRANTY YOU CAN REPLACE IT FOR FREE FROM ASROCK ARGENTINE'S BRANCH.
BETTER ORDER  A SECONDEHAND GYGABYTE AND BIOSTAR MB MADE IN TAIWAN@10-15$ PLUS AMD 64 CPU DUAL-CORE,   CAN WORK 3-5 YEARS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 06:16:26 pm »

by the way ,how much did you pay for  asrock 775i65G in argentine?
how long is the warrantyfor it  ?
now  online it's auctioned at 10$.
you 'd better donated to some NGO, or givig to unpreviledged communities in argentine....
simply ordering seconde hand gygabyte or biostar,more stable, hassel free than asrock (asus sister brand)
jotabe

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:14:40 pm »

hi...
thanks for the replys

hata_ph the wireless its supported by ndiswrapper, back in my time with slack i configured with no prob. right now im working on configuring it, buts already installed. Sound and video where installed correctly

i already upgraded the bios 1 month ago to the latest (i think final) version

i dont find a real need for overclocking this hard... since i think im gonna change my box in a year top...

the used market in Argentina its quite expensive and old hardware its selled at ridiculous price. but i purchased this pc back in 2006 so the price has changed
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 08:04:38 pm »

hi...
thanks for the replys

hata_ph the wireless its supported by ndiswrapper, back in my time with slack i configured with no prob. right now im working on configuring it, buts already installed. Sound and video where installed correctly

i already upgraded the bios 1 month ago to the latest (i think final) version

i dont find a real need for overclocking this hard... since i think im gonna change my box in a year top...

the used market in Argentina its quite expensive and old hardware its selled at ridiculous price. but i purchased this pc back in 2006 so the price has changed

overclocking can boost the total performances  significantly...you should install vl7.1 64bit beta, then overclock your mb.....

no need to wait for a year to change your MB, you can simply request here in vl forum  for some  VL users or developpers living or working in japan , taiwan, korea, malaysia, thailand, vietnam,pakistan, hk,macau, to bring you a secondhand MB plus amd cpu to argentine in their holiday trips or business trips....

or you can ask someone working in Aerolineas Argentinas to bring you back.

secondhand pc market i guess almost noexistant in argentine yet as most argentine working in mining  or oil filed industrail, got paid extremly well than in asia, always purchase things in new in high prices without travelling or flying around
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:14:32 pm »

if it were purchased back in 2006 ,that Asrock 775i65G mb is too ancient.
but overclocking can give it a seconde life running vl7.1 64 bit.
the bottleneck  lies on maximum ram only support 2G ddr1, while now second hand ddr2/3 only  10-15 $ for 2G strip. alternatively you can set up proper swap size or swap file  for better performances.
jotabe

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 11:18:02 pm »

i do not want to turn this  particular topic into a political debate... but i will say that there are quite a few restrictions to importations, also there are restrictions to Dollar commerce, so there is a "white market" dollar and a "black market" dollar.
the black market one its close to be the double of the white market restricted one.

There is not much to do with this PC. its a legacy hardware that will be replaced soon.

I have another Motherboard, whit anything on it (an ASUS M4N socket AMD II+ with 4 slots of DDR2 up to 16gb) but to put that pc in "condition" i need more money than what a new Intel i5 with a decent mother costs...

here, a 8gb DDR2 (2 x 4) costs close to 100 dollars, and 8gb DDR3 costs 55 dllrs
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:35:35 am »

Welcome, jotabe!

If I have my facts straight, you are not the first Argentine to grace this forum.  You're walking in some tall cotton.

I know you will get along just fine here.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 04:11:07 am »

i do not want to turn this  particular topic into a political debate... but i will say that there are quite a few restrictions to importations, also there are restrictions to Dollar commerce, so there is a "white market" dollar and a "black market" dollar.
the black market one its close to be the double of the white market restricted one.

There is not much to do with this PC. its a legacy hardware that will be replaced soon.

I have another Motherboard, whit anything on it (an ASUS M4N socket AMD II+ with 4 slots of DDR2 up to 16gb) but to put that pc in "condition" i need more money than what a new Intel i5 with a decent mother costs...

here, a 8gb DDR2 (2 x 4) costs close to 100 dollars, and 8gb DDR3 costs 55 dllrs

if there's foreign exchange controll in argentine still....
THEN YOU CAN ALWAYS POST HERE TO REQUEST OTHER VL USERS ( WHO 'D GO ARGENTINE  FOR HOLIDAYS OR BUSINESS TRIPS) TO HELP  YOU OUT, YOU SIMPLY OFFER 2-3 NIGHT FREE ACCOMODATIONS OR HOSPITALITIES IN YOUR  HOUSE  TO THEM, THEN THEY CAN BRING YOU DDR2 DDR3 OR OTHER SPAREPARTS,IN JAPAN HK TAIWAN IT;S DIRT CHEAP.

you invite  vector users to visit you  , certainly you can get  ddr3 or other spareparts for free.japanese and thai loves tango very much,if you can teach tango in exchange ,they can bring you more you need

but now vl users living in north america and eu 're very poor ,barely can afford any long haul flight.
malaysian 're rich , but malaysian airlines MAS suspended  argentine flight 2 years ago fromkuala lumpur.

IF YOU CAN COME TO  BANGKOK OR SAIGON  OR SEND SOME ARGENTINE TRAVELLERS  OVER,I CAN GIVE YOU FOR FREE.

NOW YOU 'VE GOT TWO pc, you should leave asrock working as server in your house, if you can  build 5-6 pc,can run an internet cafein argentine....is it difficult? would your corrputed peronist gorvernment officers make troubles and tax  you again even to long term unemployed?would internet cafe bring any positive income to you? or you'd better stay with jos with mining or oil companies?

by the way,How about 3G 4G broadand mobile  internet services in  argentine now?if you have high speed 500k/ s downloading  rate,can simply run a 3g4G router to get internet to share in your house LAN....
can you find mobile internet services providers offer 1G data at 1$ equivaent peso?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:25:27 am by vincent2 » Logged
jotabe

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 01:41:51 pm »

thanks for your concerns.

but i must say that i'm doing just fine in economical aspects, i do not want to start any international commerce. I work and study something not related with PC, so my PC usage and interest are just the ones of a win power user / GNU linux newbie.

thanks for all the offers, but i must decline, i just want to exchange experience in order to become a poweruser of VL

greetz to you back in Saigon, and like a fellow countryman of mine once sayed "crear dos, tres... muchos Vietnam, es la consigna"
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 06:31:36 pm »

please do offer spanish lesson over forum day by day,
plus your argentine tango poem.
vl community 'd like to learn more spanish little by little.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: