VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 09:16:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: udev issue?  (Read 402 times)
wigums
Packager
Packager
Vectorite

« on: January 27, 2014, 12:58:54 pm »

seems to me that while booting a usb stick it is assigned its drive designation first. meaning that a usb stick would be sda and the hdd would be sdb. so, for example, ive installed b2.4 from usb stick which is at /dev/sda and hdd is sdb. so after install on boot its looking to mount sdb, but without a usb stick inserted the hdd is assigned sda and thus wont boot because during install the hdd was at sdb. so i insert the usb stick (just inserted, not booting from) and it boots proper since now the hdd is assigned to sdb.

the inverse is the same issue as well. if i install from cd /dvd the hdd is assigned hda as is appropriate, however if you have a usb stick inserted the hdd again becomes hdb and thus wont boot unless you remove the usb stick

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: